Static

UO MSO Suggestions

Reduced AI spawning from the default MSO mission (most current), apart from spawning enemies every 5ft which can cause performance drops it just reduces fun, there's no sense of accomplishment like there is in the old MSO it's just an endless wave of enemies.

As a pilot from the last MSO I can say that the most of my job was transporting supplies to FOBs and camp branca, this was fun. I'd rather not see it taken out in favor of having everyone in one place, I feel that would remove a core aspect of what made MSO fun: limited assets. (however, we did frequently run out of supplies at the airbase which caused problems sometimes)

is this going to be like afghanistan or something? is there going to be like weapon or drug caches to find in tows or farms?

How are you intending on working slotting for the grunts?

Last MSO, a pool system was suggested. Do you intend to follow that idea or do you just want to stick with fixed slots?

How do you intend to work different timezones? A personal idea of mine would be to just have two separate platoons. (A US and a Euro one. Also having to account for assets as well.)

Right it would be the U.S Army 75th Airborne Div. with attached assets such as A-10.

You mean 75th Ranger Regiment I assume. There is no 75th Airborne Division.

If we included OPFOR slots, they should come from the Tiger Team, and the Tiger Team only. There should be maybe a fireteam size element to enhance AI, rather than a squad (or larger) size to give real headaches.

There should be a GM involved on OPFOR with realistic limitations. There should be no human civilians, even hand picked role playing will fail.

I'd like to see two platoons worth of BLUFOR, maybe one US Army one British. No SF, there's no need. I'd like to see it on Chernarus personally, against the Chedaki insrugents from Single Player. Not the Russians, MSO doesn't lend itself so well to that. I'd also like to see a USMC Rifle platoon instead of an Army one, as I think they're underrepresented in our missions and the three fireteams makes it more interesting.

How are you intending on working slotting for the grunts?

Last MSO, a pool system was suggested. Do you intend to follow that idea or do you just want to stick with fixed slots?

How do you intend to work different timezones? A personal idea of mine would be to just have two separate platoons. (A US and a Euro one. Also having to account for assets as well.)

We have been talking of having two platoons. As for slotting, The first session will have fixed slot for everyone, After that we will have CO/Asset slots guarded by a script with the players GUID.

You mean 75th Ranger Regiment I assume. There is no 75th Airborne Division.

If we included OPFOR slots, they should come from the Tiger Team, and the Tiger Team only. There should be maybe a fireteam size element to enhance AI, rather than a squad (or larger) size to give real headaches.

There should be a GM involved on OPFOR with realistic limitations. There should be no human civilians, even hand picked role playing will fail.

I'd like to see two platoons worth of BLUFOR, maybe one US Army one British. No SF, there's no need. I'd like to see it on Chernarus personally, against the Chedaki insrugents from Single Player. Not the Russians, MSO doesn't lend itself so well to that. I'd also like to see a USMC Rifle platoon instead of an Army one, as I think they're underrepresented in our missions and the three fireteams makes it more interesting.

My bad, 82nd Airborne. I agree with having Tiger Team members play OPFOR. As for the map/island it is already set for clafghan. We can add a British platoon for the people in Europe.

The enemy would not be russians, they would be insurgents.

Edited by Static

I think if we're going to do this we have to do it right. First we have to secure the airbase by para-jumping in. Then we have to slowly start taking FOBs and supplying them. Only then can we have the big stuff IE:Hummvees, Apaches, chinooks, BHs. To simulate the taking of clafghan.

Personally I don't really like MSO I think the way we do missions in UO is the best way.

If we do it on Chernarus then definitely USMC; same concept all ops start on the Khe Sanh, amphib landing, take airbases, then build our own FOBs.

So instead of brits we get CDF holding out on their little part of the island.

inb4 30 pages of shit like the last thread.

In all seriousness I hope you have read Krause's AAR from the last large MSO we did. Many a good point are produced in that thread.

I am a big fan of MSO and am really looking forward to this. One question, How long would an MSO session be running for? Would we be able to keep the server up for a few days or a week with no interruption?

If MSO were to make a comeback I might be convinced to re-download/install again. But honestly as someone mentioned above read Krause's AARs and really think it out. One of the big issues we ran into was A people being spread all over the friggin place and having a hard time re-grouping because some jackass who last played that slot left it in BFE. B real objectives, ideally from the command structure, but when you only have small squads/low numbers on there needs to be something for them to do as well. C. I think having 2-3 tiger team slots on redfor would be great, this would actually allow for a dynamic nature that makes a lot more sense. Let them drive a mortar team in range of a base, let them create ambushes etc and augment the AI. This would actually releive a lot of the need for GMs to really create the dynamic events outside of random mobs of enemies in towns.

I cannot wait for MSO, I played it with some guys a while ago. Restricted weapons should be a factor, alot of people would give themselves tac-50s to raid a town or tons of AT. This is a similar problem with domination, also vehicle restrictions or some sort of system that allows for mission critical assets to only be unlocked by a commander and or admin.

The biggest annoyance back in AAF was pubbers coming in and taking helicopters, tanks, assault vehicles ect. That when needed later on were not there.

I think if we're going to do this we have to do it right. First we have to secure the airbase by para-jumping in. Then we have to slowly start taking FOBs and supplying them. Only then can we have the big stuff IE:Hummvees, Apaches, chinooks, BHs. To simulate the taking of clafghan.

Would be awesome if you could do this kind of thing. I'm definitely looking forward to the next MSO event.

Teleporting to squad leaders would be nice but not teleporting to specific towns... we might as well just put domi up for a couple of weeks if that's the case.

Well I just wish for as much as balanced gameplay between each asset (air, arty, ground troops) and good design of mission.If you need testing, I'm here ; )

Would be pretty badass to have headless clients implemented.I hope it can be done.

Edited by enex

What sort of medical system did you have in mind, Static?

Requiring evacuation of serious casualties for treatment could add a realistic logistical dynamic.

Our last MSO event ran for a Multiple weeks, prior tests have ran for a week at a time.

OPFor/Civ slots will not be allowed.

Conherent Gameplay/tasking will be required.

Random AI just because players happen to enter a proximity and then have the AI get removed based on this same situation will not be desired.

The newer 4.55 and active development versions are pretty nice in comparison to the older versions we have played. That being it may be turning into too much of a seeder mission vs scenario play/campaign play.

Headless client support already exists on test servers, contact me for an on need/demand requirement.

I was working on my own MSO, had a script working where the base would get the odd mortar round or infantry assault if there were more than 4 players online (with AI guards if there were less than 28, not including Logistics & Pilots).

*edit*

Was also making them work on a variable so a GM could easily edit the chance of attack or mortar depending on situation e.g.:

GM sets up a MiniEvent where some Mortar sites have been spotted, the players do the mission and, if successful, the chance of a mortar attack could be easily set lower.

Edited by Herbiie

Hmm..

I don't really like MSO to be honest, I'd much rather play missions; there are already servers/communities dedicated to MSO.

What sort of medical system did you have in mind, Static?

Requiring evacuation of serious casualties for treatment could add a realistic logistical dynamic.

I would love to see a system where stretchers are actually used, and evacs have to be made.

The casualties could be collected at a Triage either at the major airbase or the other camps.

Combat Support Hospital with dedicated CASEVAC Teams.

I can take charge of all logistics to do with it so it would be like it wasn't even there.....

I'd love to work with Thawk as part of a Combat Hospital Set up, being part of a Casevac team/Doctors sent out for serious injuries/extract wounded/dead.