Sign in to follow this  
Omena

Non-Regular LOA - 2013

I am not a regular, but I play and socialize here regularly, so I wanted to make this post! : D

My military training at the Guard Jaeger Regiment begins January 7th and it lasts 270 to 347 days. So I won't be playing much this year.

I also was a proud owner of hair, but now it is gone. Feels weird having short hair.

Pic related if you dare to look. I didn't actually use those scissors, managed to do it all with a machine.

Anyways, see you later gents,

Omena

Weekend vacation report: Back from first camp in the woods. All my muscles are sore and everything I do hurts. Combat -and bulletproof vests are pretty cool, but so god damn heavy. Eating outside sucks, hurts my knees and we have to take our helmets/hats off when we eat so everyone is freezing while eating. Shooting is so much fun! My current record is 84/100 points (10 bullets) from 150m on a kneeling position. We mostly jog when moving from one place to another and I've lost 4 kg in these first 3 weeks. Food in the cafeteria is almost always good. I like the snow suits, you can hide yourself pretty well especially among birch trees. Next week we're going camping again and testing gas masks.

Army is so exhausting and sometimes extremely annoying, but there are fun moments too!

Guard Jaeger Omena reporting for duty. We had our oath of allegiance sworn yesterday and then we were rookies no more, yay!

That's about the coolest military title I've heard. Congrats.

Thank you! Jaeger (Jääkäri) is the Finnish military rank for Private and there are different kinds of Jaegers depending on their specialization, like Guard Jaegers (Kaartinjääkäri) are urban fighters, also called Urban Jaegers (Kaupunkijääkäri), Armour Jaegers (Panssarijääkäri) are armoured vehicle personnel, Paratrooper Jaegers (Laskuvarjojääkäri) are paratroopers obviously and Coastal Jaegers (Rannikkojääkäri), are Finnish marines. There are also just "Jaegers" that are plain soldiers with no special training.

EDIT: Oh, and in these five weeks I've lost 8 kg.

Edited by Omena

Weekend vacation again. I didn't get into NCO School. :sad: My mental fitness for the job is excellent and I was recommended for it by my superior, but my physical fitness is inadequate and I have asthma that restricts me aswell. I was put to Transport Company then, and I'm okay with that. They do urban warfare on foot aswell. I hope I get to drive or command a Pasi which is an amphibious APC, it's awesome.

Days left: 298.

Sisu_XA-180-IFOR.jpg

Edited by Omena

I applied again and got into NCO school, yay! Starting friday it's NCO student Omena, not Guard Jaeger. When I was told about the selection my reaction was hysterical laughter, because I was put into the most physically challenging branch, which is the anti-armour training. On top of the 20kg ballistic vest, 5+kg combat vest and 3,5kg assault rifle I'll be carrying a 10kg APILAS and 3x3kg 66 KES 88. Awesome. 113 days remaining.

Edited by Omena

20 kg ballistic vest? Either you are disarming hydrogen bombs or your army needs to start looking for newer and lighter protective gear. It is quite insane for you to weigh more or close to what I carried when I was deployed.

Are you sure that you will be carrying the APILAS and the three M72A5 LAWs at the same time or not just as two options.

20 kg ballistic vest? Either you are disarming hydrogen bombs or your army needs to start looking for newer and lighter protective gear. It is quite insane for you to weigh more or close to what I carried when I was deployed.

Are you sure that you will be carrying the APILAS and the three M72A5 LAWs at the same time or not just as two options.

I guess the vests have to be quite heavy since they have to stop assault rifle rounds. And about the LAWs, this is only what I've been told. I will confirm this information when the training begins.

Wait....the vest alone weighs 20kg?

Yes, there are armor plates inside. It took me some time to upload this on my phone.

WP_000483_zpsc026a17d.jpg

I have the croch-piece detached at the moment.

Edited by Omena

Seems a bit excessive. I was at around 50-55lbs fully loaded(249 and 4- 200 round belts), which is around 22kg. Finland needs to upgrade lol.

But congrats man. Enjoy every minute of it. When you get out and get older, you'll look back on these times as some of the best in your life.

Weekend vacation, wooh! It has been a very busy week. And it will become even busier when we leave for camping for the whole next week (mon-fri).

I brought you some photos!

sg39yc.jpg2hi2h54.jpg

This is the heaviest combat load we've carried so far. And some APILAS' to the right. Those who get to go to reserve officer school will get to shoot NLAWs, so that is my next goal.

I came back from a 5-day shooting camp last friday where we exercised some attacking and defending and night time operations, but the crown jewel was branch specific training where we got to fire an M72A5 and an APILAS! It was so amazing, the target range was 300m and I hit bullseye! Those who got a hit got the APILAS' earplugs as a reward and those who missed got the manual (hehe). It was such an amazing feeling, the tube jumped up a little bit (recoilless rifle my ass) and I could taste the fumes in my mouth, there was a huge bang and a cloud around me and then even a bigger bang when the grenade hit the target. I will upload a video of it as soon as I get it from my friends. They filmed it 300m behind me and they said they could feel the blastwave on their faces from that range.

fm54ck.jpg

Happy NCO Student Omena above.

Looks like you are having a lot of fun. I am bit jealous since the biggest I've fired was an AT4.

..And on a completely unrelated note, I was promoted, *wooh*. Now it's NCO Student Lance-Corporal Omena. Next step is Corporal on December 19th and then I'll see if I can get a temporary job as an AT instructor for the next arrival of conscripts. (Then it'll be Sergeant Omena!!!)

2cftlog.jpg

We've recently been fiddling with H&K's 40mm GMG and I'll try to get a good photo of me sitting behind it. All students get to fire a box of HEDP grenades (32 rounds) and the shooting range is 1500m long..looking forward to that!