Sign in to follow this  
Dawks

"I'm too busy" ... and other such-like sophistry

Morton Thiokol engineers didn't say "We were too busy to pay attention" in defense of their decision to send Challenger''s astronauts to their death. They weren't honest enough for that. They found the sort of excuses I'm familiar with, from dealing with engineers, and management ... and officers.

Want a short course in operational logic? Walk with them through the fatal chain of decisions. Step by step, self-validating logic. Impeccable. The sort of thing I'm genetically incapable of producing.

80/20 ... 80% of the time that chain of lock-step stupidity leaves you still in the chain of promotion. 20% of the time there's flash-back. heh 0.00000005% of the time you shake and bake US astronauts on public TV. (Interrogative: who cares about a grunt?)

My decision was good because I was busy. My decision was justified because I was busy. I couldn't take in the details because I was busy, but made a decision that affected others, because I was busy. I pressed forward with the decision we'd reached previously because I was busy.

Can you see a pattern here?

And I'm the **** who says, "No, sir, that doesn't follow. FMECA says X probability with Y consequences". (And if I don't get heard I shouldn't have accepted the contract i.e. I should not have joined the "community".)

I find loose threads. I scrutinize edge cases. I drag a razor blade along miles and miles of logic. And what I get is shit and abuse. /*shrug*/ And that's the way it is. (Oh, why do I do that? Cuz I get good shit done well. Is all)

Ethical Decisions - Morton Thiokol and the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster

p.s. the republic requires critical authenticity. those of you who object to those terms are the enemy. #JustSayin'

Edited by Dawks

You need to structure your post much better and stop writing in some teenage leet speak. Use proper grammar or the best you can muster such as myself with my Denglish.

I have a very hard time finding the red thread in your posts and to be honest I am begining to think you are under some sort of influence when you write.

You need to structure ... and stop writing in ... Use proper grammar or .

I have a very hard time finding the red thread in your posts and to be honest I am begining to think you are under some sort of influence when you write.

JB: what's a "red thread"? Is that some traditional term here in UO?

But do me a favor: if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about ... how about STFU? That's an option, yaa?

(No, I'm not playing your passive-aggressive game ... no plausible deniability here; I know you just lust to bust my balls. But that's not the point. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.)

p.s. a tradition that grammar nazis get promoted here? structure nazis? I'm biased. I have a predisposition. Like I said with BrentP (I state my case. You hate it? Tough turkey.) I have no omniscient view. I'm me. And say so. I wish you could be you. Truly. Straight up. Take that as a dare. It's meant to be a dare.

Edited by Dawks

I'm not trying to be funny but I've no idea what you're talking about.

The "red thread" refers to something that can be 'held onto' to find ones way through something. In this case it'd be a point, or a topic. (origin: "In Greek mythology, Theseus rescued himself out of the labyrinth of Minotaur by following a red thread, given to him by Ariadne.")

And JB has a fair point: Nowhere at all in the entire original post, or in the headline for the post, do you actually raise a topic or an issue. You leave us to guess what you are meaning, and then you jump on people for not knowing what you are thinking about.

There is something about using the statement of "being busy" there, but it doesn't have any context provided nor for criticism or for tangibility.

I am guessing that the implication is since I was too busy to reply to a third party PM that was sent to me about an issue that had already been resolved by way of discussion with the parties that were directly involved with the issue in question.

This implying that while the information I may have been working under would have been justified in my mind and based on the information that was presented to me, while not factually wrong, did not present the entire issue with full accuracy so thus a decision that may have been reached on my part, may have been flawed not based upon the information presented to me, but based upon the omnipresent information.

That or we are talking about about the Space Shuttle Challenger?

Dawks, the way in which you write and structure your thoughts is almost unbearable/unreadable. Please stop using conversational techniques in your writing, such as the periods which you use to create pauses among others. Also, please do not use hash tags. It makes you sound, well, less than intelligent.

Also, you remind me of this man:

Morton Thiokol engineers didn't say "We were too busy to pay attention" in defense of their decision to send Challenger''s astronauts to their death. They weren't honest enough for that. They found the sort of excuses I'm familiar with, from dealing with engineers, and management ... and officers.

Want a short course in operational logic? Walk with them through the fatal chain of decisions. Step by step, self-validating logic. Impeccable. The sort of thing I'm genetically incapable of producing.

80/20 ... 80% of the time that chain of lock-step stupidity leaves you still in the chain of promotion. 20% of the time there's flash-back. heh 0.00000005% of the time you shake and bake US astronauts on public TV. (Interrogative: who cares about a grunt?)

My decision was good because I was busy. My decision was justified because I was busy. I couldn't take in the details because I was busy, but made a decision that affected others, because I was busy. I pressed forward with the decision we'd reached previously because I was busy.

Can you see a pattern here?

And I'm the **** who says, "No, sir, that doesn't follow. FMECA says X probability with Y consequences". (And if I don't get heard I shouldn't have accepted the contract i.e. I should not have joined the "community".)

I find loose threads. I scrutinize edge cases. I drag a razor blade along miles and miles of logic. And what I get is shit and abuse. /*shrug*/ And that's the way it is. (Oh, why do I do that? Cuz I get good shit done well. Is all)

Ethical Decisions - Morton Thiokol and the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster

p.s. the republic requires critical authenticity. those of you who object to those terms are the enemy. #JustSayin'

It's like he's trying to write a first-person narrative novel in the voice of an interior monologue... Every time he talks haha.

He's probably an English major or something like that.

I think we should make a movie! I really want him to narrate a noir scene!

His posts generally make sense, I think, albeit lacking direction~

Edited by Dezel

This guy is fucking weird.

Great job being tactful, Boon, you're a shining star of public relations. While I'll admit, it is difficult to comprehend what he's trying to say, at least the posters above you had enough common decency to be polite.

I would say, if you have issues, resolve them maybe? Instead of starting some weird dialogue/monologue, involving all your previous misfortune?

Sorry, but none of his posts make sense to me. All they try to do is critique about something or another without actually saying what the problem is? ... Politician perhaps?

I read most of his posts as simply trying to stir things up, taking it out of context, and then continously whine about something obscure ... Trolling?

"Respect me, I'm older and wiser than all of you who don't know anything, and it's the officers who are to blame, because i'm just a grunt and only I know the truth about IT. Ofcourse you don't know what IT is, but that is because you're not smart enough to comprehend and thus you are a waste of my time." ... Sure, that will work?

Many people have tried to help him, asked him politely to clarify his posts ... and all they got back is what exactly?

Great job being tactful, Boon, you're a shining star of public relations. While I'll admit, it is difficult to comprehend what he's trying to say, at least the posters above you had enough common decency to be polite.

Boon was just saying what everyone was already thinking. He speaks for ththe people. BOON 2013!

I just found this.

Oh my god, I am laughing too hard.

EDIT: I actually didn't notice this was 6 months old. That more necro than I wanted...

Edited by Fighter

I just found this.

Oh my god, I am laughing too hard.

EDIT: I actually didn't notice this was 6 months old. That more necro than I wanted...

Good job.

I almost understand what the the op was trying to convey and that should worry him because I read it during one of my many senior moments.