J.B.

UOTC Scenario Training

Goal: To teach users how to solve simple tactical situations up to squad leader level.

Terms: The users are given a single slide that presents a tactical scenario. The terrain, enemy and situation is described and users task is presented from that. The difficulty will vary as the training progresses.

Time: 1-2 slides is expected every week.

J03vy.jpg

Terrain: Your squad is moving through a low-cut corn field that doesn't provide any cover or concealment. To the north 100 meters there is a forestline running from E-W.

Enemy: The enemy is a single person with an AK-47.

Situation: Your squad comes under fire. Your orders are to assault the enemy.

How does the squad proceed and what bounding technique should be used?

Hmm just to hear, you want us to give our "answer" here? or will this be done on a certain time you sign up for?

Blue squad act as BOF while yellow buddy team bounds on a right flank movement keeping low and being supported by suppressing fire by Blue, yellow within range of target should engage with grenades, confirmation would be sent to blue to hold fire and yellow push into the area of the enemy and confirm kill (most likely still in buddy teams).

That's what I would do :tongue:

This would good for mini training drills for folks, take an hour or so and they just practice assaults and other scenarios live on the training server, +1!

Edited by def

You post your answer and I'll give the solution after enough time or users have answered.

It's a small way for me to keep on contributing to UOTC while I'm in Afghanistan.

Great you doing stuff like this mate.

Hmm , first reaction, hit the ground at where you are, and get supressive fire on the target area suspected of having the enemy, when incoming fire is halted / reduced to indirect, then either: move 1 man up and throw a grenade into the treeline, and Break from contact by fireteam bounding south (away from contact)., as you are exposed in an open field. More people can be lying in that treeline.

ohh shit, sry early morning and im a retard,

1. Hit the ground, get guns pointed at the contact and supress area of contact.

2. when incoming fire is halted / reduced to indirect. Move blue in buddyteam boundings till within good throw range (cant remember what "effective" range is for throwing anymore, as i never found it difficult as a handball player :tongue: ) and get a grenade into the enemy area, yellow team will stay behind and supress.

3. Both team secure till sure that no activity is shown from the area, then yellow team bounds up to get into the AO while blue secures their approach.

(inbefore he makes us all look like donkeys...)

Edited by mr2

Ok, I'll give this a shot. Nice use of your time JB :D I'll kinda explain my actions as well as detailing them, so you can point out where my train of thought is wrong. I'll throw that in italics.

In a perfect scenario:

1. Both fire teams take a knee and begin returning fire at a rapid rate. Standard actions on contact. Field prevents going prone and with little cover the squad needs to suppress and destroy the enemy quickly.

2. Once enemy fire is lessened. I proceed to order yellow team to go firm and fix the contact, I then have blue team do a short/medium bound to the right (east if picture is orientated north). I move blue rather than yellow as I don't want to isolate blue too much by moving yellow too far away and I use a bound rather than peel as it's too slow for this situation.

3. I follow up with having blue pick up the slack and have yellow bound to blue's right. Creating the same setup as in picture but out of killzone. Concerned that yellow is stationary for too long allowing for effective snap shots from the enemy.

4. I then order yellow team to assault forward in buddy rushes to flank the enemy with grenades while blue team fix and suppress. Buddy rush over bounding as I feel this situation needs speed and urgency to get out of the open/neutralise enemy.

5. Yellow team consolidate after destroying contact, go firm and blue team advances up to them.

I am also open to the possibility of giving the same response, but how it would work out in ARMA. :D

1) Have blue and yellow hit the ground and have blue start suppressing their target. Have yellow observe the surrounding (assuming the lone gunman might not be alone).

2) Once the target is suppressed (after assuming he really is alone and the yellows can't find anybody else), have yellow bound towards the right of the suspected location of our target to take him out.

3) Have blue do a 360 to make really really sure that the one bloke was really it and have yellow link up with them to continue as before (assuming there are no casualties).

My $0,02.

This is great way to learn.Maybe after basic and simply tehniques, we could also include real arma 2

situations that had happened.

1) The entire squad should turn to face the enemy and put down enough fire to get fire superiority, while in the lowest possible stance to still see what they are firing at.

2) After fire superiority is achieved, the SL orders the squad to prepare to attack the enemy by successive bounding overwatch (the default method we use here at UO). Suppressive fire should continue, but at a lower rate of fire.

3) Once the fire teams are ready to perform the attack (the maneuver element ready to move, and the suppressing element reloaded and actually firing) the squad is ordered to pull off the maneuver.

4) Both fire teams should bound up to hand grenade range in short increments ("I'm up. He sees me. I'm down.").

5) After hand grenades are thrown (should be done when everyone is prone due to fragmentation danger and no real cover) the entire squad assaults the enemy position simultaneously. Firing while walking until close enough to confirm enemy death is a wise choice.

6) After successful assault the squad pulls security while in the cover of the trees and if not in further contact assesses injuries and ammunition status, and the SL should send in an ACE report.

PS. Bloody excellent decision to have this, JB! Looking forward to more! DS.

Trick question. Don't let your squad travel in such an open area without concealment in an "obviously" hostile territory. Silly kids.

Could you include the actual commands from SL to FTL to FT?

Great idea btw, thx.

Edited by Ratszo

iParL.jpg

Solution

1. Squad gets into the lowest possible shooting stance and suppreses the target.

2. SL orders: "Prepare for alternating bound forwards. Blue covers, yellow moves".

3. Once the squad is ready Yellow executes on his own intiative or on order.

4. Step 1 & 2 is repeated until the squad is just outside throwing distance of the target.

5. SL orders: "Yellow, assault the target. Use grenade". If the SL doesn't specify the use of grenade, flashbang etc it is up to the FTL, but the order should alway be given before the assault. Remember to specify who throws the grenade.

6. Yellow bounds one more time and angles itself 45 degress onto the enemy while Blue keeps up the suppresion.

7. Yellow D watches for targets in-depth. B and C are the ones carrying out the assault and use of handgrenade (In this case it is B using the grenade). A keeps suppression along side with whoever is not on the far right or throwing the grenade.

8. The soldier pulls the pin, yells "Frag out", goes prone again, awaits the explosion and walks towards the target shooting one round each second. Rate goes up as he approaches the target.

9. Blue FTL makes sure to shift his team's fire to the left as Yellow manuevres as does A.

10. When B blocks C's field of fire C joins B in moving towards the target.

11. SL or Yellow FTL radios "All stations, friendlies are in the target" to prevent blue-on-blue when B and C enters the firing point.

12. B and C radios that the position has been cleared and number of dead, wounded or captured enemies.

13. The rest of Yellow joins up and Yellow FTL directs Blue as to where he sees their position ie. "Blue, jump up on my left".

What I wanted to see here was two things. 1) The use of alternating bound to close in with the enemy as quickly as possible, and, that Yellow is the first to bound to avoid the risk of blue-on-blue. The image below illustrates my point albeit mirrored.

UIibs.jpg

2) That the target is suppressed while Yellow flanks.

Some good suggestions all around. Does anyone have any questions, concerns or thoughts? If not I will upload the next scenario tomorrow.

No objections or interjections at all. Excellent material, well thought out, and to complementing pictures are fantastic. Offers a lot to learn.

Edit:

To consciously think of what team moves first due to blocking line of fire is something that didn't occur to me, although I did choose successive bounding overwatch to eliminate the problems with it against a point target (sacrificing speed for fire superiority and ease of handling of the squad, with the downside of being exposed in the open for a longer time).

The method with nominating one man to throw the grenade and to assault is something I've never even heard of, but the sensibility of it is obvious, and that I'll definitely take to heart.

Edited by Inkompetent

Why close to grenade range? It looks like one team or the other would end up with a clean shot well before that.

You have to assume you cannot really see the enemy, so you use all means to get literally on top of him to make sure he is dead. The safest way to do so is to frag his holy hole as the ultimate finish-off. And if you've already fired 500 rounds in his direction, you can very well sacrifice a hand grenade.

No communication of calling contact? SL (or 2ic) doesn't identify contact to squad or higher? No contact confirmation from squaddies?

Aye, that should have been a #2. Probaly slipped my eyes since it was well over midnight.

6o3pP.jpg

Terrain: The squad has taken up position in the forest they just assaulted. It provides sufficient cover and concealment.

Enemy: There is no immediate threat to the squad.

Situation: The SL is on comms with the PL. 1st squad is to the left 50 meters in another cluster of trees as your squad is on the far right of a platoon line.

Make a step by step list of what the FTL needs to do in this situation where the squad has just been in contact and needs to reorganize.

iParL.jpg

Solution

1. Squad gets into the lowest possible shooting stance and suppreses the target.

2. SL orders: "Prepare for alternating bound forwards. Blue covers, yellow moves".

3. Once the squad is ready Yellow executes on his own intiative or on order.

4. Step 1 & 2 is repeated until the squad is just outside throwing distance of the target.

5. SL orders: "Yellow, assault the target. Use grenade". If the SL doesn't specify the use of grenade, flashbang etc it is up to the FTL, but the order should alway be given before the assault. Remember to specify who throws the grenade.

6. Yellow bounds one more time and angles itself 45 degress onto the enemy while Blue keeps up the suppresion.

7. Yellow D watches for targets in-depth. B and C are the ones carrying out the assault and use of handgrenade (In this case it is B using the grenade). A keeps suppression along side with whoever is not on the far right or throwing the grenade.

8. The soldier pulls the pin, yells "Frag out", goes prone again, awaits the explosion and walks towards the target shooting one round each second. Rate goes up as he approaches the target.

9. Blue FTL makes sure to shift his team's fire to the left as Yellow manuevres as does A.

10. When B blocks C's field of fire C joins B in moving towards the target.

11. SL or Yellow FTL radios "All stations, friendlies are in the target" to prevent blue-on-blue when B and C enters the firing point.

12. B and C radios that the position has been cleared and number of dead, wounded or captured enemies.

13. The rest of Yellow joins up and Yellow FTL directs Blue as to where he sees their position ie. "Blue, jump up on my left".

What I wanted to see here was two things. 1) The use of alternating bound to close in with the enemy as quickly as possible, and, that Yellow is the first to bound to avoid the risk of blue-on-blue. The image below illustrates my point albeit mirrored.

UIibs.jpg

2) That the target is suppressed while Yellow flanks.

Some good suggestions all around. Does anyone have any questions, concerns or thoughts? If not I will upload the next scenario tomorrow.

Not one person said anything about security on the rear. Everyone is just looking forward. This is valuable info for tvt >:D muahahahaha

I know this is hard to do and myself and others have done it during our army training, but you need to cut out anything that is not given in the scenario. There is only one enemy and no others.

The scenarios are controlled by the terrain, enemy and situation description and users guided by the tasks given from that.

This thread was created to avoid the countless topics (like this) where users debate and argue over server examples that in most cases are poorly defined and there are no limitations as to what can be dreamt up as threats. Many times the tone is also bad in such threads, but this is a structed and controlled learning environment which is highly practical without signing up for a course that one can't fully commit to because of time constraints.

If someone does have an server example or any other scenarios they would like to have run through here, feel free to PM me with the case and we can talk about it and present it as a slide.