RustyUK

FSX: IVAO / VATSIM Pilots?

Hey All,

Anyone here a regular pilot on IVAO/VATSIM? Got hold of the PMDG 737-NGX nearly a year ago and have been sharpening my skills with the AOA and other real world tutorials. (basically the main air-frame I fly on, right now)

If anyone here does any real-world military routes/operations, I'd love to know. Still have my copy of the C130 so could even practice some air-to-air refueling scenarios.

Thanks for Reading,

R.

Used fly on both IVAO and VATSIM (fmr IVAO Sen Staff actually).

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

I've been on VATSIM for 2-3 years and IVAO for the last 6 and part of staff for one of the Divisions. Ask me anything and I'll find an answer for you ;)

I've been with VATSIM for over 2-3 years now, and I must say it's probably the way to go.

Here's a video I made a while back:

Very professional, real, and just a great experience.

Any questions, I can answer as well!

Whered you come from pclipse 0.o

Do you just pop up when flight sims get mentioned?

Pretty much lol, I pop in and out. I played arma with you guys last weekend.

I played at lot with vatsim back quite a few years when FSX was newer. I used to fly longer hauls and study/read while listening to the occasional radio chatter. I found that quite relaxing and probably the only reason I don't do it any more is because I left my joystick in Brazil and am not bothered to get a new one.

I played at lot with vatsim back quite a few years when FSX was newer. I used to fly longer hauls and study/read while listening to the occasional radio chatter. I found that quite relaxing and probably the only reason I don't do it any more is because I left my joystick in Brazil and am not bothered to get a new one.

My current joystick is broken and I am getting a new for the holidays. Let me know if you are interested in getting back into it.

Got into it when I thought I'd be flying with USEC ... they require PilotCert. Or did ... don't know they're active anymore. (Their TS has been banned; breached TOS.)

Did a lot of FSEconomy for a while. Good fun, but /*shrug*/ nothing like squad work to be found.

Had found one interesting bunch of guys who would do sudden Search events. Wasn't enough of us to keep it going. But great fun scrambling to some gawd-forsaken area of the world!

I played at lot with vatsim back quite a few years when FSX was newer. I used to fly longer hauls and ...
Say, did you hear about the precision schedule events? Say, fly from Mumbai to London and land / park X seconds from scheduled time. Hard-core! ;-) Edited by Dawks

So guys, I just managed to get myself a new joystick ( Saitek X52, Hurray!) and was kinda interested in beginning in VATSIM/IVAO that kind of stuff, any good tutorials ? i've flown before on FSX with the PMDG 737, was getting quite into it till my old controller broke :P

So guys, I just managed to get myself a new joystick ( Saitek X52, Hurray!) and was kinda interested in beginning in VATSIM/IVAO that kind of stuff, any good tutorials ? i've flown before on FSX with the PMDG 737, was getting quite into it till my old controller broke :tongue:

IVAO Divisions will provide you with in-depth personal Training for both Air Traffic Control and Aircraft Operation, check your respective division training sites. If you wanna dig into the subject on your own I can provide you with good material, in particular i.a.w. FAA and/or ICAO/EU.

If you are completely new to the topic I recommend the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical, I've been using it for years and its still used here even at my University.

PHAK-cover.png

For VATSIM, the ZLA ARTCC will provide training and certifications for you, if you want.

Or yeah, just ask us here, we can provide more than enough information for you.

zumorc, I have that book. Fantastic. Love reading it on the shitter.

I got the basic of flying and such, most of my problems come to Flight planning and ATC comms :P I'll try a good look on the IVAO material. Thanks

-Wolf

For VATSIM, the ZLA ARTCC will provide training and certifications for you
That was actually req for the first ArmA clan I looked into, USEC. (Sure hope they're still around.)

ZLA's docs were great, and probably still are. And the service on the tarmac is ... was (I don't know recently) absolutely ace.

FWIW

flown by Paul "TutMeister" Tutty, I pilot I think might be better than even Dslyecxi (with all respect due.) Edited by Dawks

Just started flying in FSX again... Where do I start for something like this? Never really flown anything other than some tutorial missions.

Assuming that you are already familiar with fundamentals of aeronautics and piloting, you could go ahead and directly register and download the software of whatever network you decide for. I recommend trying them both.

At IVAO you can directly engage in both Pilot and ATC Training with your division. AFAIK Vatsim doesnt offer Pilot Training, but instead offers a more dedicated and restrictive ATC training program. Assuming that you would go for US their Training Department can be found here: http://ivaous.org/academy/ There you can get personal Training and Certification for ATC and PIlot Ranks.

I really recommend IVAO on January the 19th during the Crowded Skies Event, when the membership will try to set a new record for simultaneous connections (currently 2303).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29Ou2CT1Vw

If you still need to refresh on basic aviator theory and skills i recommend the PHAK as linked above and the Video Tutorials of Aviator90 (see below), any real-life PPL training material will also do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZNSiTngVfE

IVAO ro VATSIM, it's really a personal choice. I usually fly on IVAO, but I got friends on VATSIM, so I go there too. zumorc, I'm in Croatian Division (not official anymore due to small numbers), even though I live in Canada (I moved here only 3 years ago).

Assuming that you are already familiar with fundamentals of aeronautics and piloting, you could go ahead and directly register and download the software of whatever network you decide for. I recommend trying them both.

At IVAO you can directly engage in both Pilot and ATC Training with your division. AFAIK Vatsim doesnt offer Pilot Training, but instead offers a more dedicated and restrictive ATC training program. Assuming that you would go for US their Training Department can be found here: http://ivaous.org/academy/ There you can get personal Training and Certification for ATC and PIlot Ranks.

I really recommend IVAO on January the 19th during the Crowded Skies Event, when the membership will try to set a new record for simultaneous connections (currently 2303).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29Ou2CT1Vw

If you still need to refresh on basic aviator theory and skills i recommend the PHAK as linked above and the Video Tutorials of Aviator90 (see below), any real-life PPL training material will also do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZNSiTngVfE

Damn, I nearly forgot about the Crowded Skies event. Do you know what you will be flying? Might just hop on some GA if I can find the time, can imagine it's going to be packed.

Damn, I nearly forgot about the Crowded Skies event. Do you know what you will be flying? Might just hop on some GA if I can find the time, can imagine it's going to be packed.

I will most likely ATC, dont have FSX installed properly right now...

I will most likely ATC, dont have FSX installed properly right now...

Ah fair enough, as we all know FSX is a nightmare to get stable.

and THAT'S why I still use FS9 (I do have both working just fine). I'll be flying (maybe some ATC) in Croatia, so if you guys want to drop by, you're more than welcome.