Singleton

Star Citizen - A true Space-Sim. Here it is.

The progress is slower than the company themselves expected at launch date. Some people get very salty because they expected th product to be ready sooner. I for myself am quiet happy with the progress they make.

CIG started from 0. Sure Chris had some basic experience in game development, but there is way more to such a project. CIG started from absolute 0, with 0 investors, 0 content, minimalistic staff, no infrastructure or anything else, with the target to produce a triple-A game title.

Since the Kickstarter in 2012 roughly 4 years have passed.

From my POV, stamping an international company out of the ground based on nothing but crowdfounded capital and actually developing the first stage of the title (S42 is announced for the end of 2016, but I would rather guess that is will be here somewhen in first motnhs of '17) in that timeframe is an incredible accomplishment which I have quiet some respect for. All this considering that there sure were actions by CIG which, viewed from now, could have been done better or shouldn't have been done at all; But hey, these guys are somewhat pioneers on this topic and size of project, so I guess giving them some room for experience doesn't hurt.

I always look at some smaller games which I still like to play, which are of fantastic quality game play and how long they took to be developed: Spore took 8 years (though I know that it was hyped by some wrong rumors and therefore taken pretty bad I play this game again, again and again.), StarCraft II (7 years) holy shit did I play this game! I even called in ill on school for 3 days only to play it drowning my consciousness in redbull and cola and last my personal favorite even though it turned out to be quiet the death hit for SEGA: Shenmue (6 years) - No idea why I played it, but I simply couldn't stop.

Pax

Thanks for the feedback, buddy! I sincerely hope that's from the scale of complexity involved and not any insufficient project planning/management. 

If it were me -which cant, because i never preorder- i'd be pretty pissed off for the lack of professionalism in missing delivery dates so blatantly. I stiffened my upper lip when CDPR missed the release date for TW3 twice in a year, but no moneys left my wallet at the time so no biggie: people who preordered were frothing at the mouth. 

But SC backers are so... uh... intimate with the ongoing in the dev company that they generally seem ok with everything. I dont know if i could ever care so much about a videogame to be invested like that in the company itself. 

Edited by Maffa

just my two cents as  the resident SC Fanboy: I don't mind the delays, I want the game to release in a playable, bugfree state.

The only problem was that CR made promises (SQ42 release) he couldn't keep.

Do it right, not just on time and in an unplayable state or with critical features missing. Yes, I'm looking at you Mafia 3 and No Mans Desaster.

Edited by Edwards

Game development isn't the easiest thing in the world that being said as a backer I don't care that they miss deadlines because I would rather have quality over an earlier release date. People that preordered this game should expect it to fail which is the nature of kickstarted anything but the scale this game is now going to be able to achieve due to the money provided by the community would not be possible if no one preordered. Of course the backers are invested in its ongoing development because they want the game to succeed but as evident on the subreddit there is discontent among some members of the community. People that are invested in star citizen also have a playable game and it is not promises made by people like Sean Murry and Goodbye Games. 

I backed for the same reasons.  I want a vast, playable, enjoyable game.  The same style of grand promises are the same today as they were 4 years ago with nothing to show for it but slipping schedules and pre alphas I have no interest in.  I have no reason to suspect they will meet any of their targets.  I regret backing this game.  Good job on them though for making it so I can't withdraw my pledge.  Maybe someday I'll be able to fly the Super Hornet as promised in an open universe.  I suspect this will happen after I have retired from flying the real Super Hornet.

Oh, and for those complaining that SC is taking too long, I'm just gonna leave this here:

http://overmental.com/content/10-games-that-spent-the-longest-time-in-development-2-672

True these all have taken far longer and I am not sure how much money had been invested by their fans prior to their release but I would be curious.  I  do love their last tag line in the article.

Lesson learned: sometimes good things do not come to those who wait.

I'm fully aware that AAA games don't come quick or easy. I'm also aware of slipped deadlines and false promises. SC has given me no reason to trust them anymore. At this point I consider the $150 I invested to be lost and that someday I might be surprised to see a game come out. At which point I will likely no longer be in a position time wise or with a PC sufficient to handle it. When I first invested I was promised that was not the case.

I couldn't understand back many years ago people buying expensive ships and packages and what not... 

I still don't.

Not a penny spent, no regrets.

I read this recently on the development process and I think it raises several salient, crucial points over the history:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

1 - Poorly coordinated effort originally between separate, distant departments for high inefficiency,

2 - Restrictions from the engine, which initially limited those to employ, and requiring extensive modification which should've maybe had them creating their own engine at the start,

3 - Decision to develop all elements collectively of the complex project without either a concrete framework established (definite compatibility upon integration) or a progressive build of each element, focused, which adds onto (confirmed) successful versions (easily contrasted).

Many of these issues, I believe, have been rectified *since*, I hope, from improvement to their management and project planning.

I read this recently on the development process and I think it raises several salient, crucial points over the history:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

1 - Poorly coordinated effort originally between separate, distant departments for high inefficiency,

2 - Restrictions from the engine, which initially limited those to employ, and requiring extensive modification which should've maybe had them creating their own engine at the start,

3 - Decision to develop all elements collectively of the complex project without either a concrete framework established (definite compatibility upon integration) or a progressive build of each element, focused, which adds onto (confirmed) successful versions (easily contrasted).

Many of these issues, I believe, have been rectified *since*, I hope, from improvement to their management and project planning.

Only way to know is to wait and see. One big patch is supposed to release late this year which, among other things, brings the full Crusader System.

Honestly cant wait. This next patch will be something to show to people who are skeptical of this game. This game has come a long way and has some serious potential now.

Footage from citizencon where they showed the "Homested" demo of planetary tech 2.0 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTGJOC0stus

This shows the process leading up the the presentation , and shows the work they were doing to squadron 42 to have it ready for the presentation , however at the last moment they cut it which it why the presentation seemed like it was nothign but powerpoint filler.

After staying up to watch this i was both disappointed and reassured,  That SQ42 did not make it and seeing how far they have managed to morph cryengine into something amazing. The diggest dissapointment / point of revulsion was this video in which they release a new ship but is blatantly a money grab :(

Plus the Spice must flow!

Edited by VPope

tElHhwE.jpg

Guess what Star Bois

www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7ex16g/expanding_star_citizen_alpha_30_ptu_testing

Only one year later than planned but hey, can rush the robots

Anyway I'm about to go to work but this evening if so Bois want to (assuming you have first wave access like me) team up any have a play then yes I will want to team up to play

yeh, it appers that i was a little premature. They did the release in waves, only some of each in the first wave for a stress test.

NOW its open. 35gb so i suppose thats a full 10gb more on the 2.6.3 patch

no missions givers like Miles but thats for testing later. now testing is focusing on travel and the star app thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7f3qs5/welcome_subs_and_concierge_to_the_ptu/

Edited by Century

Hello ladies, so, since yesterday, I've been playing 3.0 for roughly 3 hours total. And it was well.. pretty awesome, especially when I finally made it to Daymar. Can't really put how awesome 3.0 is - when it works, into words. FPS were suprisingly good, except for when I was in Port Olisar and Levski. Still very buggy, but it's on PTU so that is to be expected.

Fun fact: I found a Coffee Machine in an Outpost on Yela...  much lol was had then.

good to hear its as fun as people had hoped. i dont think it will be another few months till us normies will get our hands on it. ive heard talk of 3.0 before xmas but well see.

With all the hype is a little difficult to see the big picture.

Is it ready to play?  It is possible to make a living, with just a basic ship, in game?  Does is cost real money monthly, for insurance or other stuff, to keep playing?  

at the moment. no. i mean you can still play 2.6, which is pretty neat, a few missions to do but no ship buying or upgrading yet. public release of 3.0 probably weeks away at most. big backers get to be part of this testing phase but not us normies. ship insurance will be based on in game currency and as far as i know you wont be able to purchase anything (outside art, ship skins, ect) with real money. no subscriptions either.

just get the aurora basic game package. itll probably be less expensive than the game when it comes out. dont worry about getting a super great ship. i know some of you would rather just throw money at a game if its good but hold off on that. the more money you spend the more critical you will probably be of the tortoise like development, and unless you wanna closely follow whats going on you will get over hyped and then bored of it.

Edited by siR_miLLs