Sign in to follow this  
jubxxxjub

ArmA 3 M-ATV and Fennek, Doesn't make sense.

Plus BIS hasn't seemed to be able to fix an old issue where weapons clip into your'e shoulder... or other body parts.

BIS has done mocap with a mockup of a specific rifle - probably an M4, maybe the XM8 - and the same animations and poses generated from that mocap are used with all rifles.

Mocap is godawful expensive if you do it professionally. Hand-editing an entire animation set to fit a different rifle professionally would be insanely expensive.

Using reverse kinematics to auto-generate animations and poses so they fit for a new rifle seems theoretically possible, but would probably glitch out a lot, so nobody has tried it.

So yeah. There isn't much they can do to fix it. But it would be fucking amazing if it was possible to edit the animation sets to make them fit different equipment, and if someone went and did it and put it into a mod. Shit, this sounds like something I should do. We do things related to this at work...

It's set 23 years in the future, and BLUFOR is NATO, not Murica so the Fennek makes perfect sense. Israel in the bis timeline has apparently been smashed by Iran and/or come to some kind of deal to ensure its continue existence, so Iranians possessing IS/Israeli gear makes sense. Twenty years from now oil reserves on many pro-Western nations will be close to depleted, whereas Iran is aligned with Russia and China who, in addition to Iran, have a fuckton of oil. Geopolitics will have shifted massively in 23 years time.

What amazes me is that the protagonist is UKSF. They'll have been disbanded by then due to budget cuts. The UK's contribution will be a single angry former Scottish soldier, now reluctantly "New British" and separated from his homeland. Hitting the beach in a fishing boat. With a Dutch guy.

...a single angry former Scottish soldier, now reluctantly "New British" and separated from his homeland. Hitting the beach in a fishing boat. With a Dutch guy.

There's a movie in there somewhere. A very, very funny movie.

John

The UK's contribution will be a single angry former Scottish soldier, now reluctantly "New British" and separated from his homeland. Hitting the beach in a fishing boat. With a Dutch guy.

The new UK/NL landing force awwwww yeah

So this is what the government means when they talk about having a smaller more specialized military :P

It's set 23 years in the future, and BLUFOR is NATO, not Murica so the Fennek makes perfect sense. Israel in the bis timeline has apparently been smashed by Iran and/or come to some kind of deal to ensure its continue existence, so Iranians possessing IS/Israeli gear makes sense. Twenty years from now oil reserves on many pro-Western nations will be close to depleted, whereas Iran is aligned with Russia and China who, in addition to Iran, have a fuckton of oil. Geopolitics will have shifted massively in 23 years time.

What amazes me is that the protagonist is UKSF. They'll have been disbanded by then due to budget cuts. The UK's contribution will be a single angry former Scottish soldier, now reluctantly "New British" and separated from his homeland. Hitting the beach in a fishing boat. With a Dutch guy.

The second Iran even looked at Israel funny, the US would be invading them faster than you can say oil.

Don't think so dude. Since Cast Lead and Lebanon the US has been distancing itself more and more. And if the US has been weakened by 15 years of war (which is more feasible than a lot of Americans realise) then maybe it CAN'T react. The US isn't omnipotent, it's economy rests almost entirely in the hands of China. The two are inextricably linked. The whole Superpower thing is largely a myth of America's own making.

I actually think that the BIS scenario is realistic (though not very likely). Iran is working constantly to move from being a regional power to a global power, and it's cannier than many yanks give it credit for. A technologically advanced Iran with a strong military is far more likely than a United States of Europe or Nazi Zombies, both of which have featured heavily in video game lore.

Remember, in ArmAverse the history is FICTIONAL.

So they could even wipe US from the world in the game history if they wished (Or even give OPFOR some Nato Weapons). That is not meant to be realistic, but rather giving us a interesting plot while playing the game.(Havent any one noticed that there's not one single pic of a Greek military unit?. In Really they would not be wiped that easy)

OMG Russia is invading the United States!!!!111one!! is often used and would be a little boring IMHO as the game history.

Don't think so dude. Since Cast Lead and Lebanon the US has been distancing itself more and more.

Except they have been distancing them selves at a rate that they we would be free of them in twenty years at the least.

And if the US has been weakened by 15 years of war (which is more feasible than a lot of Americans realise) then maybe it CAN'T react.

The war hasn't really weakened us at all, the economy maybe but the military is still as powerful as it ever was. I think it is not a matter of it not being feasible to us and more of a matter of you having no idea what you are talking about.

The US isn't omnipotent, it's economy rests almost entirely in the hands of China. The two are inextricably linked.

Except China's economy is in the hands of the US as well, so there really isn't much to this. Not to mention if you did not realize, we have been in debt since we became a country.

The whole Superpower thing is largely a myth of America's own making.

Hahaha, are you fucking kidding me? We have the largest military in the world and more global sway than any other country. Our economy, technology and military mark us as a powerful country, and although we have been lowering we are still more powerful than any other. This isn't bias, this is facts.

I actually think that the BIS scenario is realistic (though not very likely).

Except it isn't.

Iran is working constantly to move from being a regional power to a global power, and it's cannier than many yanks give it credit for.

Yet it still has almost zero power in comparison to say the US.

A technologically advanced Iran with a strong military is far more likely than a United States of Europe or Nazi Zombies, both of which have featured heavily in video game lore.

Yeah and the US becoming fascist and annexing Canada is more likely than Nazi Zombies or United States of Europe but I fail to see your point.

I swear half the people on this forum think it's 1986.

1966 bro, we won the world cup, the world ended then.

As for the US... your power is waning, nothing lasts for ever. Find it hard to believe?

Within living memory Britain was THE most powerful nation on earth. Our empire covered a quarter of the globe. 4 Years of world war (Just 4) was enough to stretch our resources to breaking point, and start us on the road to falling down the power scale. I'm sure Brits of the time would say that other countries wouldn't be able to stand up the might of the British Military.

Also being "the most powerful" doesn't make you a super power, you need to be the most powerful by a long way, which you are not.

Edited by Herbiie

You also don't have the largest military in the world... China has the largest military in the world. The US isn't even in the top five. In fact, it's number 6.

If it's your profession you obviously are not very good at it. The US has more combat power than any other country in the world due to the humongous amount of military spending and buildup. And please keep calling me kid, it makes your argument so much stronger.

carriers.gif

Modern warfare does not dictate power on size but rather technology and preparation.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles2004/2004617.asp

http://europeangeostrategy.ideasoneurope.eu/2011/12/29/worlds-fifteen-most-powerful-countries-in-2012/

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

http://exploredia.com/10-most-powerful-countries-in-the-world/

http://euro-hawk.com/2011/10/most-powerful-military-forces/

Modern warfare does not dictate power on size but rather technology and preparation.

A major element of modern warfare is asymmetric warfare, and asymmetric warfare involves engaging an opponent in an environment or in such a way that renders any technological, training or numerical advantage useless.

EDIT: Sorry Boondocksaint, didn't see your post till after I had posted mine.

Edited by The Kingslayer

Please stay on topic. "ArmA 3 M-ATV and Fennek, Doesn't make sense."

Start a new thread to express these well made off topic points. It will make it easier for others to read and contribute.