Sign in to follow this  
Nou

[CHARTER] Amend 1.0 Preamble Text to More Clearly Define "Mature"

I feel that too many people take the term "mature" in the 1.0 preamble of the charter to mean mature in the sense of "adult", meaning that risqué humor, insults, etc are acceptable because the community is "mature" enough to take it or deal it out.

This I feel is not in the true spirit of the charters original intent. The original intent of the charter was to use the word mature to mean a spirit of professionalism and respect, and not the mature defined above.

My proposal is to change the preamble from this:

United Operations is hereby established to serve as a community for fostering teamwork, simulation and cooperation in gaming. We are a mature community bound by a set of common principles:

to:

United Operations is hereby established to serve as a community for fostering teamwork, simulation and cooperation in gaming. We are a mature, professional community bound by a set of common principles:

Any thoughts?

I don't think that wording is as effective as you want it to be, the connotation of mature that you listed still resonates despite the added word. Despite that though, professional reinforces your point and some of the values already listed in the charter.

Edited by Dylan

Agreed. I am not sure how to make the wording lack ambiguity at all, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Thumbs up, Nou!

"The original intent of the charter was to use the word mature to mean a spirit of professionalism and respect, and not the mature defined above."

Then say that instead of trying to alter the meaning of mature. "We are a respectful and professional community"

So......we play a "mature" game. we take lives. Virtually, but lives none the less. If we were in actual combat, our jokes and jibes woudnt be even thought about, let alone be in the crosshairs of such a retarded thing as this. We are part of a MATURE group, and while we try to accomodate younger people, any one who has even been in a public school will have heard worse than what we have in our threads. So i would like to know why a few jokes like pedobear, is worse than a youngster KILLING virtual people on our servers. God forbid they see a pic of a bear, that may not mean the same thing from where they are from, than gun down a platoons worth of virtual people on our server. Because, i would hope their fragile egos arent hurt from a pic of bear.

Im glad that censoring pics from kids while letting them kill people is allowed on our servers. i mean, why not keep them out of TVTS, because then they are basically killing people by proxy on our servers,,,,,,,,,,,

again, if they are here, then they should understand that WE are a mature community, and that THEY need to conform to OUR standards, not the other way around. And if they cannot handle it, simple, they dont have to come here. I AM TIRED of conforming to others at the sacrifice of things I love.

We are mature, and thise who wish to join us should be able to catch up to us, we dont need to slow down for them.

So......we play a "mature" game. we take lives. Virtually, but lives none the less. If we were in actual combat, our jokes and jibes woudnt be even thought about, let alone be in the crosshairs of such a retarded thing as this. We are part of a MATURE group, and while we try to accomodate younger people, any one who has even been in a public school will have heard worse than what we have in our threads. So i would like to know why a few jokes like pedobear, is worse than a youngster KILLING virtual people on our servers. God forbid they see a pic of a bear, that may not mean the same thing from where they are from, than gun down a platoons worth of virtual people on our server. Because, i would hope their fragile egos arent hurt from a pic of bear.

Im glad that censoring pics from kids while letting them kill people is allowed on our servers. i mean, why not keep them out of TVTS, because then they are basically killing people by proxy on our servers,,,,,,,,,,,

again, if they are here, then they should understand that WE are a mature community, and that THEY need to conform to OUR standards, not the other way around. And if they cannot handle it, simple, they dont have to come here. I AM TIRED of conforming to others at the sacrifice of things I love.

We are mature, and thise who wish to join us should be able to catch up to us, we dont need to slow down for them.

uh

this is just for clarity in the charter...

Why do I have a feeling that I missed something?what happened to your Officer/Regular status?

Trouble is, as with most documents that try to establish norms and values, words such as 'mature' and 'professional' are open to interpretation unless clearly defined within the document itself.

John

Why do I have a feeling that I missed something?what happened to your Officer/Regular status?

HE FOLLOWED YOU INTO MISERY! YOU INFECTED US! HIM! EVERYONE! AAAAAARHRHGH!

on the other hand I think we are giving too much thought into these words

Trouble is, as with most documents that try to establish norms and values, words such as 'mature' and 'professional' are open to interpretation unless clearly defined within the document itself.

John

Amen.

"The original intent of the charter was to use the word mature to mean a spirit of professionalism and respect, and not the mature defined above."

Then say that instead of trying to alter the meaning of mature. "We are a respectful and professional community"

This is the better change.

I would never expect people to not have fun or not make jokes, but it gets seriously out of hand sometimes and often at the expense of others to a level that I feel is actually no longer mature and is just cruel or nasty. I think nou's attempt here is to try and make it clear that the wording of Mature community is not a blanket excuse to be an asshole or racist or sexist or to go over what ever line you want to, because were all "Mature".

The behavior of some members recently has been predatory, vicious and cannibalistic - repelling some new guests with what I can only refer to as "4 chan"ism. It's unacceptable and whether or not we change this wording in the charter that behavior will be punished. I also support this change.

The behavior of some members recently has been predatory, vicious and cannibalistic - repelling some new guests with what I can only refer to as "4 chan"ism. It's unacceptable and whether or not we change this wording in the charter that behavior will be punished. I also support this change.

I think blaming a site and community for individual actions is ridiculous and incorrect. A lame excuse.

I think blaming a site and community for individual actions is ridiculous and incorrect. A lame excuse.

Huh? Who's blaming what? He merely compares it to 4chan. He doesn't say it's 4chan's fault.

I think you'll need to take "mature" completely out of it if you don't want the "adult" meaning to stay.

This is better. You can't take a meaning of a word away by adding another.

Huh? Who's blaming what? He merely compares it to 4chan. He doesn't say it's 4chan's fault.

"4chanism"

I just took it as the take over of one site on some members.

I am in favor of clarifying any UO document. The word professional however has a very specific meaning not intend. A professional is paid for an activity/work verses say an amateur. Few of us are professional soldiers. Perhaps a different adjective would help prevent future ambiguity. A couple of suggestions: “cohesive” or “unified”?

Adding the word professional will not change anything and will not even make sense since we don't get paid. Pick a different word. TBH this is not needed. Just enforce the rules we have. Mature is a very grey word but I think we have an idea of what we want it to mean. Just punish the people who we think are breaking this rule and if someone disagrees they can take it to a poll. Adding the word professional will make it very clan like to me.

I am in favor of clarifying any UO document. The word professional however has a very specific meaning not intend. A professional is paid for an activity/work verses say an amateur. Few of us are professional soldiers. Perhaps a different adjective would help prevent future ambiguity. A couple of suggestions: “cohesive” or “unified”?

By the book, you have a point, but professional has a common, though informal connotation as an adjective. That connotation would fit, in my opinion. The only other word I think would fit would be principled, but too few people "get it" anymore when that word comes up, and it also brings up the question "what principles?", whereas that informal connotation of professional comes with a more-or-less understood set of principles.

I agree with removing mature. I'm not too concerned, though, because this is just one part of ensuring the prevailing culture at UO is not at odds with what it was created to be. It's a matter of both understanding and actions and interactions.

Edited by CroMagnon

Simple solution: enumerate. Same thing I did to change 1.2:

1.2 - No member of the community shall be granted privileges, powers, protections, exemptions or otherwise receive special treatments which exceed those held or available in common. No member shall willfully act or conspire to supplant the rule of the Charter.

The first sentence replaced "factions" - because some obstructionists claimed that organizing to do anything productive at UO was considered a faction. In essence I defined faction.

Whether an amendment arising from a wording change happens, it isn't going to change the way I operate. Those who are shit pumps will be dealt with and the perceived misreading or exploitation of a rule is irrelevant to me.

Yeah agree which is why I don't think we need a change. Won't change how I GM. Also in Mississippi. It smells funny ahahah