Sign in to follow this  
silencer.helling3r

Arma Field Handbook

1: with regard to buddy teams, I seem to remember from my FT Ops course that the usual mix was FTL+GL, and AR+RM. I took that to mean the AR stays with the guy carrying the extra AR ammo, and the GL stayed with the FTL to be directed by him as heavy support once the enemy was suppressed or in cover. In the document, it's FTL+AR and GL+RM.

Correct. FTL+GL and AR+RFLM is our UO standard.

2: the ranges table on page 19. Sorry, I just don't get it. Am I being dense?

Say you are watching a standing man with your sniper rifle. The man is 2.5 MIL-dots tall on your crosshairs.

That corresponds to him being (1000 * 1.80) / 2.5 = 720m away.

...Say you are watching a standing man with your sniper rifle. The man is 2.5 MIL-dots tall on your crosshairs. That corresponds to him being (1000 * 1.80) / 2.5 = 720m away.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I'm going to have to have a play around in the editor. Cheers for that.

John

I see its time again to attend one of the FTOP course :smile:

I will happily correct that. If i remember right, it was however at the discretion of the FTL to assign the buddy teams, so basicly its just a suggest.

Godhands argument (as he teached me long time ago) was, that he usually will lay down the AR first at contact and wants to stay with the AR, so he can better direct.

Regarding the range tables: the values are mostly taken from online sources stating varius different values. I did not manage to find a source for arma ingame values. Currently the first entries in the list are fairly correct, but things like the BRDMs and Jeeps need verification. I however have no idea how to measure exact values. If someone get a good idea or even better, has time to verify and correct the values, this would be awesome! I mostly have problems determining the exact mils to extract the height/widht of an object at given distance. Small differences in mil readings will give huge differences in distance when applied. One solution would maybe to get a mil value, note it down, reapply it to the formula and adjust until the distance value is correct at severl known distances (distance will vary with different MIL and[/] size, but both values are unknowns in the formula.).MAybe there is also some editor available that gives access to the models in-game dimensions. That would be alot easier.

Edited by silencer.helling3r

I will happily correct that. If i remember right, it was however at the discretion of the FTL to assign the buddy teams, so basicly its just a suggest.

Godhands argument (as he teached me long time ago) was, that he usually will lay down the AR first at contact and wants to stay with the AR, so he can better direct.

I too tend to do this sometimes, so that I have more direct control of the most fire power in the team. Depends on the mission. All in all the FTL+GR and AR+AAR/RFL is merely the UO default, and it only applies to squads/sections that actually have a separate grenadier in the fire team. If the squad lacks grenadier (like in a USMC Rifle Platoon) I'm not actually sure what our standard is. If it is FTL+RFL and AR+AAR to distribute the 'special weapons', or if it is FTL+AR and AAR+RFL to give equal fire power to both teams (AR has 40%, each rifle has 20%, but the FTL's rifle isn't likely to fire since he is busy leading).

I received some very extensive corrections from J0hnanderson that i incorporated.

The changes are only in spelling and typos, so no major content change did occur (in case someone printed the 1.4.0 already)

I just uploaded the 1.4.1 version.

Update 1.5.0 uploaded:

The range estimation table recieved an completely overhaul:

- Hilux was added (terrorists missions or ambient civilian cars)

- Added formula to get object size when range is known

- Verified and corrected all objects: all objects in the list are now as good as correct (small deviations are not avodable; deviations are around +-3 centimeters). Note the sometimes heavy deviations from the real world values!

To get the values i made a little script. It gave me the exact range (up to two decimals!) and calculated the sizes for 5, 10 and 20 mils. All i had to do now was to get the binoculars and align 5, 10 or 20 mils to length, height and width. However it was still an entire evenings work.

I hope this makes the work of some FTL or SL easier.

These guides are always good to read and i find them very informative. good on you, Silencer. its just not enough players in-game understand this stuff. i find it very difficult to put this to use, in-game. the amount of time it takes to get used to a squad / squad leader, is far to great compared to the normal time of a regular mission. seems like the second you get used to a squad and can act effectively and precisely upon contact, mission is over and you have to start the whole process over again. when I lead, and try anything that involves prior knowledge of fire team operations, I confuse my squad more often than not.

EDIT: If you have tips or know how to use these procedures effectivley in-game, please share..

Edited by picky

EDIT: If you have tips or know how to use these procedures effectivley in-game, please share..

Slap them in the face and send them to one of the UOTC classes, maybe :tongue:

Edited by silencer.helling3r

Slap them in the face and send them to one of the UOTC classes, maybe :tongue:

We will always have people who are much too smart to learn. They have a little bit of knowledge and common sense.

I use "Moving" and "Covering", and it's how I teach it.

Really doesn't matter, as long as they understand the concept of bounding you can even do it with no pro words (Me and Ratlover did so while bounding our fire teams during WAC Wednesday).

Nicely done here mate. This handbook covers a lot of key points and information that otherwise may be overlooked or never learned in the first place by players. Props to you on this.