Sign in to follow this  
silencer.helling3r

Arma Field Handbook

Hello there,

i compiled alot of basic yet important stuff into a small handbook for my arma clan. It is based on army field manuals, shactacs TTP² and heavily influenced from stuff i learned here at the famous UOTC courses.

It should serve as a quick reference for the beginner and average player and is aimed at the fire team level (FTL and TF Member).

The handbook undergoed many iterations and was proofread (besides others) by godhand.

When i do updates, i always provide two versions: one in plain A5 PDF and one in a brouchure format printable on A4 paper (print dual sided, fold, staple and you got a nice small handbook)

Downloads:

I would love to get some feedback.

Be warned, it may contain errors; especially the size informaitons on the "range guessing" page need confirmation ("Person" is okay, but most of the tanks are not aligned with ingame values); i would appreciate it very much if you could provide me with better values.

I hope it can serve the community. If its not appropriate, just delete my post.

Please refer also to the "common abbreviations" topic at the UOTC Guides as it complements this handbook here: http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/11061-common-abbreviations/

Edited by silencer.helling3r

Both PDF links are coming up 'not found' for me.

John

edit: Now both loading. Cheers.

Edited by j0hnanderson

Pretty much a summary of the first year of ROTC.

That's pretty much dead on for what my handbook looked like.

Now I know what I will ask my fireteam members read up on, when the briefing for the squadleaders is going on.

Thank you very much for making this, it makes it much easier to tell the new guys where to read.

i would be nice to have the more regular playing guys, that plays around 12.00-16.00 zulu, to advice the guys to read up on it.

well would rather have them knowing basic conduct within a fireteam, than the planed movement onto the objectives.

You could do split the briefing in the two, where the first part is meant for the squadleaders, and the second part is for all elements !!

Well that would get redundant, since everyone should at least have an idea as to the general movement plan.

But I do know what you're getting at. Individual skills come first!

I agree that everybody should have an idea of the movement plan, but when we have so many new guys, that doesn't know basic knowledge about actions on contact and similar stuff, then I feel it better to have me and my senior FTL to know the movement plan, and then be sure to have all my guys to know their job

Pg.5 under GRIT, you say conceive, i think you meant concise

Thank you for this, Sir, it is a good read. From a personal standard I really don't like GRIT personally for teaching people, for me, for some reason it was hard to get even though it was basically exactly the format I've learnt before. For a newbie it was hard to get my head around it, I keep looking at the I and going "What the fuck is I again?"...

I find it easier using DDD:

Distance,

Direction, and,

Description ...

Just for memorizing it anyhow, a better mnemonic.

Reference:

http://www.ausarma.org/topic/1086-project-reality-tactics/page__pid__26239 If you want to read more from another communities perspective.

thank you for the very useful hand book and Do you mind if i hand this out in my clan??

I advise you switch over to the american system of contact reports, as most of our stuff at UO is american, and as we teach those at UOTC

It's pretty much what Rye said

CONTACT DISTANCE DIRECTION TYPE

Distance being close(<300m), medium(300-600m) and far(>600)

Direction is just quickly front rear left right

Type is whatever you're looking at (infantry, armor, vehicles)

Thank you all for your feedback!

Pg.5 under GRIT, you say conceive, i think you meant concise

Indeed, i corrected it.

Do you mind if i hand this out in my clan??

Not at all. I posted it for distribution :wink:

@Yaxxo:

CONTACT DISTANCE DIRECTION TYPE

This is essentially GRIT as i learned it at UOTC from Godhand and what i have put into the manual already:

• G roup Own group name + CONTACT
  • R ange Approx. Range like „near“, „medium“, „far“
    • near = < 200m (effective for everyone)
    • medium = 200m-600m (effective for AR)
    • far = > 600m (usually ineffective)

[*]I ndicate Location and/or direction: front, left, Radio antenna, barn

[*]T ype Type and size of enemy: Infantry, Armor, LAV, Bunker, ...

Example: „ALPHA, Contact! | medium range | front, left of the Barn | 3 times infantry“

Ok, then i will correct that.

Just to be sure i put in the right thing:

CONTACT ist just the brevity word "Contact!" or is it still the own group at squad levels?

Can you please give some examples so i get it right?

You've got GRIT wrong anyway. Group describes whop is to fire eg Delta fireteam, LMG gunners, marksman etc. Range is in hundreds of meters. Indication eg half right, watch my tracer etc and Type is type of fire, such as deliberate (up to 10 rounds a minute) or rapid (up to 30 rounds a minute for rifles). The type of enemy is included in the indication. I always use this as its instinctive for me, seems to get everyone firing in the same direction. The US system seems unnecesarily complicated, same as most US military systems ;)

Thanks for this,

I thought we had decided to use "covering" and "moving" to announce movement. Rather than other terms, like 'bounding', 'set', 'in postion', etc. This was to standardize the language we were using. Using these terms in this guide would be helpful.

The exception would be to announce "covering" with your weapon by firing toward enemy (when applicable).

Just to give some sign of life (im currently moving), i will correct that two points (contact report and bounding commands) when i get my PC back out of the box.

Yaxxo, do you mind to proofread the changes once completed, so they are in line with UOTC?

Hi there, i just have put up a new version containing the discussed changes.

You will find the updated version in the first post.

Most notably i have changed

* GRIT to the american style contact reports

* I also adjusted the "weapon states" (page 4) slightly because i think i had a mistake with "yellow" and "red"

Yaxxo, would you please give your advice if the current version is correct? Is it also ok for me to use the UO logo at the front page?

A very good read, and many thanks for putting it together - it's on the whole very clear and concise. Just a couple of questions.

1: with regard to buddy teams, I seem to remember from my FT Ops course that the usual mix was FTL+GL, and AR+RM. I took that to mean the AR stays with the guy carrying the extra AR ammo, and the GL stayed with the FTL to be directed by him as heavy support once the enemy was suppressed or in cover. In the document, it's FTL+AR and GL+RM.

2: the ranges table on page 19. Sorry, I just don't get it. Am I being dense?

John

Edited by j0hnanderson

What john said about the buddy teams is absolutely correct.

I'll look trough the guide tomorrow, and I'll pass you some notes about it.