HellHound

UO Gameplay Guide for Beginners

No. That's retarded. You SHOULD use clock bearings - no one whips out a compass in combat and you shouldn't be thinking of pin point directions in regard to a contact either.

That may be retarded in real life, but this is arma. Whipping out your compass and giving someone an exact bearing is acceptable as long as it's before shots are being fired.

That may be retarded in real life, but this is arma. Whipping out your compass and giving someone an exact bearing is acceptable as long as it's before shots are being fired.

On the flip side, missions without everyone having compasses will make it work much better.

No. That's retarded. You SHOULD use clock bearings - no one whips out a compass in combat and you shouldn't be thinking of pin point directions in regard to a contact either.

Agree but take it a step forward, you shouldn't use clock bearings - too complicated!

Front, right, Left, rear are acceptable , go into bearings, clock face, "half right" "half left" etc. if you're a FTL directing the fire of your squad (Which you'll be doing after you've stopped taking fire, so people have enough time to press K & check their compass). Landmarks is the best way to go though, "Contact front, infantry in the treeline!" is a perfectly fine contact report at squad level imo, gives you enough information for suppressing fire, fire co-ordination is where you get into the whole "1 Section! 300m! Quarter Right! Building with the red roof! Top left window! Rapid, FIRE!" and that :smile:

I thought Red weapon state was never fire, even if fired upon (No real application in our missions, more of a UN type rule).

Edited by Herbiie

Front, right, Left, rear are acceptable , go into bearings, clock face, "half right" "half left" etc. if you're a FTL directing the fire of your squad (Which you'll be doing after you've stopped taking fire, so people have enough time to press K & check their compass). Landmarks is the best way to go though, "Contact front, infantry in the treeline!" is a perfectly fine contact report at squad level imo, gives you enough information for suppressing fire, fire co-ordination is where you get into the whole "1 Section! 300m! Quarter Right! Building with the red roof! Top left window! Rapid, FIRE!" and that

This ^

imo ( i slot as MG often) the faster you can get those rounds out on target,the better..

so if an accurate contact bearing can be achieved within the shortest amount of time/radiochatter,whilst giving sufficient information,the better .

(Personally on contact initially i'd rather have a clock bearing or a landmark bearing report though, cause it saves time getting these rounds out,the SL can Give a cardinal report to go with it,but by the time he finishes the cardinal and all fireteam members have actually pinpointed the bearing,the MG already has 100 rounds out. but thats just personal.)I can work with either method without problems,its just that some players need to drag their compass out on Contactreport,then get the bearing,switch back allign and fire,wich takes a couple of precious seconds imo)

This is a result of Arma actually being a game,not RL.

Edited by St.Sabath

Compass bearing should be used for target indications that are of far distance. I hate people doing it when the enemy is 30 meters away.

Edited by Rye

I hate it when people use compass bearings for less than 300 meters, for me, the reactions on contact are a basic contact report (CONTACT, FRONT LEFT, MEDIUM), double tap, baseline, suppress, then detailed contact description while suppressing.

Obviously the amount of detail you need in a contact report is dependant on range, at long ranges you need to be more specific than just saying ''at that treeline'', but at close range it might be enough. Use common sense, be as brief as possible while getting the information through.

Like Herbiie said, using landmarks for directing accurate fire is a lot better after the general direction is known.

Hi, i am new here but dont know how to get started, this tutorial was very confusing because it is my first time. How does i even get this game and please dont hate me cuz i am new, everyone have been new once... please, can anyone help me or something? And i dont even know where to post for help, PM me or something if you can help me. And does this game have something with real life to do with? Like, sometimes it can be MG, TK, KOS, DM. And help me please. Thanks.

Edited by Gabrielahdo

I don't know what those acronyms you are referring to are, but I assume English isn't your first language.

Your best bet will be to click on the big Getting Started Guide on the right of the homepage. This is a gameplay guide, not an installation guide.

If you're not sure what game this is, I wonder how you found us. It's ArmA2 Combined Operations. Look for it on Steam.

If you are still confused, download teamspeak 3 and connect to ts3.unitedoperations.net and join the Help and Support Channel. A microphone will help you there.

Some notes about teamspeak: Your username MUST match your in-game ArmA name.

Do you mean with "Your username", the username of this forum or any other username based on ArmA?

Do you mean with "Your username", the username of this forum or any other username based on ArmA?

If you are going to play on a UO non DayZ server, you must be on teamspeak with ACRE and your ingame name must match your teamspeak username. You will be kicked until this is corrected.

That should be common sense. If you can't figure out that while someone is briefing you shouldn't be dicking around, you're probably going to have problems later anyway.

They will get a quick education about not to spam markers when they get banned :)

Hellhound as a suggestion,you should put a link in the guide to our Guides and Tactics section of the forums and tell people to check it out,all kinds of good stuff in there.

Love that vid where buddy say's "you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get to beat you with until you understand who's in command here!" lol. That vid in your post is now blocked by FOX,you might need to replace it.

Noooooooo. I will not be silenced.

Currently updates are a little harder because only moderators can edit posts. I make due though

Many thanks for the guide, it's much appreciated by a newcomer like me or others.

Put in: Staying of side chat.

Keep chatter to a minimum, and keep info of how you got killed in the AAR section and not on Side.

Keep chatter to a minimum

Can not agree with Warrior enough. There are way to many people talking on teamspeak when the only person that should be talking is the commander.

Do I have to be a regular to join the server?

Not at all. The charter spells out what a regular is. We're no different in game then anyone else; we're just allowed to vote on UO policy in the forums. Anyone can join the server, provided they have the right mods.

Obviously teamspeak, the rules reveal that, as does this guide, and the warning you get with ACRE. I lumped teamspeak into "mods"