HellHound

UO Gameplay Guide for Beginners

John, I can do that but as a warning it was a 17 page word document without pictures. Not sure how short I'll be able to get it.

Castle: both good questions I meant to answer but missed. Will be added this afternoon.

Also to be added: Rules of Engagement/weapon condition

I skimmed over it this morning, I will read the meat of it when I have some more time on my hands. I trust this will be invaluable to the community. Good initiative.

P.S., this could definitely use a section on TVTs.

I will add a special considerations for tvts section into the gameplay area, but it won't be too long because a lot of the fundamentals are the same. I left out the TTP guide because it is content and tactics heavy. I'm trying to keep this guide as simple and digestible as possible. Those who want more can dig through the other guides in forum.

Also to be added to FAQ: locked server and server password location.

TBA to tactics. 360 security and sectors of fire/lanes

Edited by HellHound

Just a small comment on contact reports, I don't think we normally use clock bearings so maybe change the example report to something like "Contact front (general direction, optional) 220 [DIRECTION], infantry in woods [DESCRIPTION], 300 meters [DISTANCE]".

Besides that little thing, GREAT WORK!

Just a small comment on contact reports, I don't think we normally use clock bearings so maybe change the example report to something like "Contact front (general direction, optional) 220 [DIRECTION], infantry in woods [DESCRIPTION], 300 meters [DISTANCE]".

Besides that little thing, GREAT WORK!

No. That's retarded. You SHOULD use clock bearings - no one whips out a compass in combat and you shouldn't be thinking of pin point directions in regard to a contact either.

Great job HellHound. This will be very useful to our new players.

Awesome work dude, would it be worth while pointing out Mission notes more? Go over com-sig, mission, enemy report, service support etc.

I think at very least com & sig should be touched upon.

Yeah. Definitely emphasize the importance of figuring out (and writing down) during slotting and confirming during briefing which squad you're in, how it will be addressed on the radio, which channel to be on, and who your direct superiors are so you know what to listen for.

As a noob, I sometimes end up thinking I'm in "Bravo" because my unit description says "1-1-B 4" in the map screen when in fact I'm in "Alpha" because 1-1-A is command or whatever, and then getting in the wrong truck, being on the wrong radio channel, and generally causing chaos for others and embarrassment to myself.

As a note to mission designers - this could definitely be improved in many missions, often it's totally inconsistent between the slotting unit names, the com/sig card if there is one, and much of the time the commanders just end up doing alpha/bravo/charlie anyways.

Edited by Polonius

The best thing to do is just write to disregard the slotting screen. People need to understand that 1-1-A and 1-1-B and so on, serve no real purpose other than being called out to slot.

Pre-Mission

The Briefing

Once everyone is slotted and the mission is ready, the admin will take the round into the briefing screen. Pay attention here because this is how the commander intends and hopes the mission will proceed. At first if no one is talking and nothing is going on, just wait. The commander is reading the mission notes and formulating a plan before he sets markers on the map. In the meantime, you should do the same. The commander will eventually brief you on what your mission is and what's expected, but it's a good idea to know what you're doing beforehand.

When it comes time for the commander to clear comms and brief, be quiet and listen. This stage can go anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on the mission, commander, and plan.

At first if no one is talking and nothing is going on, just wait. The commander is reading the mission notes and formulating a plan before he sets markers on the map. In the meantime, you should do the same.

Great advice ... often this time is filled with TS chatter and text chat to write all sorts of unrelated stuff.

Very true jimbo and a great statement thats in the guide.

Have ran into quite of a few people talking during the start of briefing asking why we are sitting here, that then wastes more time for the CO or others to explain.

Great guide Hellhound, amazing work, I hope this is forwarded and read by all new players, its even a nice read through for myself,

Edited by Suffocation

That line is in the guide suffocation...

I'm not opposed to chatter if commander allows it before briefing, but I'm not kidding when I say hearing the 10th person in a week say "what are we waiting for?" in briefing is the reason I made this.

Great guide HellHound. Can you add a section detailing the different weapon colour codes? i.e. Weapons green, orange and red

Great guide HellHound. Can you add a section detailing the different weapon colour codes? i.e. Weapons green, orange and red

Weapon Condition/Rules of Engagement

Either in briefing or in-game, someone within your chain of command will go over the rules of engagement or weapon condition. The three conditions are Red, Yellow, and Green. Red is hold fire unless directly fired upon. Yellow is fire if you have reason to believe that you have been spotted, or see the enemy about to engage friendly forces. Green is free to engage any target. If at any time (perhaps they forgot to say it) you are unsure of the current weapon condition, ask your squad leader.

End of Pre-Mission section

That line is in the guide suffocation...

I'm not opposed to chatter if commander allows it before briefing, but I'm not kidding when I say hearing the 10th person in a week say "what are we waiting for?" in briefing is the reason I made this.

I know its in the guide... I just typo'd one word out so it basically makes no sense.

suggestions for additional topics (some squad leader stuff):

Mounting procedures - being the last man onto a PC or helicopter, communicating to the vehicle commander

Understanding your physical relation to other callsigns

Control procedures - when to stop, report on the radio, and do a radio check

The importance of initiative and asking questions

Organizing a squad

Don't know if you want to go into that stuff, but it's probably the most oblivious area in the new players I have seen.

Plans are already underway for an advanced beginners guide. It will go over FTL and basic SL procedures, more information in regards to communication, and your role in a vehicle (either as crew or a passenger). Not sure when I'll start cracking, this last one was quite an endeavor.

No. That's retarded. You SHOULD use clock bearings - no one whips out a compass in combat and you shouldn't be thinking of pin point directions in regard to a contact either.

I've found this only works if folk realize it should be referencing from direction of travel not the direction an individual is facing, when I SL I prefer a cardinal direction to avoid confusion and if you can get it quick enough without being killed a bearing is excellent if only to get a contact report up the wire quickly.

My understanding of weapon conditions was the following (and it's how I use them) admittedly this could be wrong:

Green: Weapons free, engage any target that presents itself.

Yellow: Do not fire unless fired upon, PID and identify all contacts to your FTL or SL.

Red: Do not fire unless enemy activity is going to compromise your movement or position, report contact before engaging.

Could be wrong just how it was explained to me way back.

Excellent guide, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Hey there HellHound!

I just wanted to say thank you for taking your time to write this guide of yours, it has answered many questions I had and gotten me even more interested in UO! I'll be joining the familiarization courses soon.

Good to hear Omena. Don't worry, you'll have plenty more.

In regards to direction, the SL is supposed to assign a 12 o clock heading when the unit is halted. This is then passed down to FTLs and individual MoS. While moving, 12 o clock is always the direction of travel.

Do you have any idea how many virtual lives have you saved by writing this guide?