Sign in to follow this  
Evan

[Addon] RQ-11A Raven v1.1 [2012-05-24]

Should the RQ-11A be added to the modpack?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should the RQ-11A Raven be added to the modpack?

• Yes
    • No

To the people who say it's indestructible, I ask you this question: how often have you shot a huntIR out of the sky

How many times has the RQ-8 been shot down? NEVA! Why? because when it is used, the pilot just puts it 3 klicks out and at 1 klick up so that the opfor on psy warfare cant touch it anyway. We know its there(because its loud as fuck) but it might as well be indestructible due to how far it can see. If this is used, i only see it being use in coops anyway.

To clarify on the technical details the UAV in Psychological Warfare can be easily destroyed, all it takes is 1 50-cal bullet to down it but it has never happened..it was actually one of my concerns when placing it - will OPFOR shoot it down and make the UAV operator scratch his balls for the rest of the game?so far it has yet to happen.

Pretty big update came out today:

RQ-11 RAVEN A by FEINT hotfix 1.51 released

Changelog:

-Fixed: problem with one of the files

-CBA IS NOW REQUIRED FOR MULTIPLAYER SOUND TO WORK

-ADDED: More zoom levels (11 now instead of 4)

-ADDED: Increased zoom max

-ADDED: new zoom controls (in and out)

-ADDED: Altitude ASL to in-camera data stream

-ADDED: Range limit of 8km (distance from Raven target to Ground Control Station)

-ADDED: marker elipse visible on map when changing targets

-ADDED: Battery limit of 60 minutes

-ADDED: Battery status to in-camera display

-ADDED: Autolanding near player when battery reaches zero percent charge

-ADDED: Camera shuts off when battery reaches zero percent charge

-ADDED: Ability to recharge battery in Raven

-ADDED: Restricted the ability to disassemble the raven when it is recharging

-ADDED: Battery level holds true from raven to raven (can recharge more than one raven at a time)

-ADDED: If you pick up a raven that is recharging, you can see a display of the charge level going up in real time

-ADDED: In-camera compass that tracks the camera position and rotation and zoom level

-ADDED: In-camera battery display shows minutes remaining on charge

-ADDED: Charge Battery action only visible if battery level is lower than 100%

-ADDED: Raven can be destroyed when engine is off (but not when flying)

-ADDED: New sounds for engine startup and engine loop

-TWEAKED: in-camera instructions so they are shorter for people running lower screen resolutions

-TWEAKED: in-camera data stream to better reflect altitude

-TWEAKED: in-camera data stream for easier and faster reading (right aligned right side elements)

-TWEAKED: DTV blurriness

-FIXED: Raven can now be assembled and disassembled from walkable ships (Nimitz, Kuznetzof, P99, BAM, Gnat's Warships, etc.)

-FIXED: Raven can now approach and land on elevated positions such as buildings and ships at sea (if there's enough room)

-FIXED: Multiplayer sounds should be heard on all clients now by using CBA

-FIXED: Autolanding was broken on certain maps with fake altitudes (Raven wouldn't land)

-FIXED: Added minor fixes to autolanding script when autolanding is active

-FIXED: Added minor fixes to new target script when autolanding is active

-FIXED: addActions so that they can't be activated during team switching by another unit (thanks DeltaForce96)

-FIXED: Missing semicolon in strobe script

-FIXED: Changed the way the Raven chooses altitude so that it no longer flies underwater when depth of water is below 30 meters

http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=16722

4 mbs, kindof a cool toy, meh, tentative yes.

Biggest issue will be how often will it be used, considering similer such devices for short range unmanned recon (HUNTIR 203 rounds) are not very oft used.

I think it would be used more often than the HuntIR. I could even see it being used in a WAC. "Simmons, What is across that tree stand" "4 tanks 3 Armored transports and 2 Shilkas, Sarge" " Simmons, Fix Bayonets... We are going in."

With Hunt IR its "Whats behind this building?" (Which I love using hunt IR for. MOAR TvT With Hunt IR PLOX!)

Finally the UAV... "What is going on 6 Klicks away? Oh they are doing a convoy? Ok we will set up an ambush here." Though they probably will change course after they see/hear the UAV.

Yes. I feel it would be a great addition. Though sadly not in TvT until the Damage is added. Just because I don't want to see it hit an enemy chopper and have the chopper explode while It flys on its merry way. (if that's possible)

Besides the extremely limited range, doesn't firing the HuntIR count as actually firing the weapon, thus providing info to the AIs, allowing them to supernaturally triangulate the shooter's location?

HuntIR are still cool, but more options are better.

I believe the pro;s outweigh the con's here but I also have to wonder how often this would actually be used?

I don't know the use of this in real life application however if its something that would be usable by a Recon element then that would make me happy as anything that could see proper recon units being implemented in more missions would be nice :)

It fills a gap between large UAVs: Predator, Reaper, Firescout etc and the HuntIR

I believe this has been covered previously in the thread however, this may give ideas to those unsure how it will be used or how they can use it:

HuntIR is best used as a tool for squad leads to get quick situational awareness where contact with other elements of their higher structure is limited, not possible or not going to get them information quick enough. This is easy to implement and as has been already said is unfortunately underused as are a lot of ACE equipment pieces. Place in missions is as already said best put as a squad asset not restricted solely to a recce element.

The Raven is primarily used in a force protection role by most nations employing it as I understand it. Used to provide warning to elements of approaching threats or possible threats ahead of their route of travel. Basically a relatively constant intel feed to platoon HQ on their immediate situation.

In missions this would probably be a platoon asset, an operator on attachment to the platoon HQ element or recce element, easy enough to implement considering how the addon works.

Missions that could easily and realistically have it used: Operation Redwood, Operation Bott, Op Erbeden(spelling?) though don't believe the Germans use the raven specifically, Cobras Anger and so on...

Larger more conventional UAVs such as Predator, Reaper and Firescout I'd expect used at a higher level for pre-mission planning or preparatory strikes in the case of Reaper.

The above is how it can be used, why it should be used, from what I've seen UO tries to follow current, and where appropriate older military doctrine, the use of MUAVs is an increasingly common part of operations in combat zones, at least with the British and US forces seems like a logical step forward,

For it's file size and capabilities for mission commanders I'd say it's well worth adding.

Just doesn't really appeal to me. I just don't see this being used that much, unless in a large Coop mission in which a lot of pre-planning is involved. I'll try it out if it's added, I guess. Maybe I'll eat my words.

Missions that could easily and realistically have it used: Operation Redwood, Operation Bott, Op Erbeden(spelling?) though don't believe the Germans use the raven specifically, Cobras Anger and so on...

Not the Raven specifically, but the ALADIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMT_Aladin). Looks more or less the same, has a comparable size and pretty much the same features (according to the internet).

Especially the Fenneks use to carry one of those with them. If we could add a Fennek together with the Raven we would have a very realistic Recon set up for German missions.

I like the Raven and would be more than pleased to see it used on the server.

The German recon and light infantry units use the Aladin for reconnaissance purposes, this one is pretty close to it.

I personally like that fact that you actually have to assemble it before use, that is a nice touch.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that it is indestructible.

I downloaded the version 1.51 from Armaholic and looked at the contents, it seems like he set it up so it inherits from the nonAIvehicle class "bird", which is rather odd, since there actually is a "UAV" class.

It contains the entries canBeShot = true and a damage event handler for both flying and static though, so it might be possible to destroy it now.

We could take it into the test modpack and try it out on the server.

Question is how does it handle high server load.

We're one of the few places to find that out at, and we'll pretty much have to adopt it to do so.

I would say yes, but only after extensive testing. It looks fun and all from the demo video, but that's not a multiplayer scenario. Who knows how this thing would act with a loaded server?

We're one of the few places to find that out at, and we'll pretty much have to adopt it to do so.

If all the bickering about DayZ is true then it shouldn't be that hard to see if it works or not when more then 10 players :)

We'll see if it works. If it doesn't, off it goes, obviously.

Will it get used? Who knows! I imagine it will get used a fair amount, if only as a novelty item in some missions. But it's small enough that, hey, it gets used a few times. That's okay.

Looks like this is passing regardless, so I think we can stop tugging straws to get votes in favor of this.

The flagship asset of this mod is an untargetable, indestructable UAV that realistically could be destroyed by doveshot. Another UAV mod should be found which does not have this shortcoming unless the developer commits to correcting this. Voted no.

I would like to see you hit that thing dude.

people who aren't AI have issues hitting a moving littlebird with automatic weaponry at 100m.

This thing is smaller and sitting around 150-200 on average.

Invincibility isn't really important. You couldn't shoot it down if you tried.

Although I have this really amusing mental image of a taliban running forward with a stinger shouting "I HAVE YOU NOW!"

The flagship asset of this mod is an untargetable, indestructable UAV that realistically could be destroyed by doveshot. Another UAV mod should be found which does not have this shortcoming unless the developer commits to correcting this. Voted no.

Are you going to make it?

:D