Sign in to follow this  
Nou

Nomination for Weapon X as a Regular [2012-04-30]

Restore Weapon X's regularship  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Restore Weapon X's regularship

• Yes
    • No

Forums permit missions to be added to the server in an organized manner.

Forums permit a refrence point for mission creation/scripts/feedback.

With out the missions being added to the server I doubt much good could come from gameplay off of the submitted missions. Much less feedback on corrections outside of realtime review.

This thread is about the nomination of a former regular whom was renominated. Any further offtopic discussion or policy discussion is considered in appropriate to this thread, please post it in the appropriate locations, (hint, the 4 charter amendment polls, and or policy discussion)

Forums permit missions to be added to the server in an organized manner.

Forums permit a refrence point for mission creation/scripts/feedback.

With out the missions being added to the server I doubt much good could come from gameplay off of the submitted missions. Much less feedback on corrections outside of realtime review.

This thread is about the nomination of a former regular whom was renominated. Any further offtopic discussion or policy discussion is considered in appropriate to this thread, please post it in the appropriate locations, (hint, the 4 charter amendment polls, and or policy discussion)

Mission submission has nothing to do with regulars with the exception of the person that uploads the mission from test to primary is a regular, maybe I did not phrase it well enough - I quoted Fighter saying that a regular can't do his duties without being on the forums and the question is what good regulars as a whole contribute to the forums, exclusive to regulars - what none regulars can't do..I have yet to find an example that encompasses all regulars.

I don't see how this is not an appropriate place to discuss this - this thread is de facto about forum activity with Weapon X being case in point of a standard that should be expected, its very simplistic and naive to look at it as another nomination thread.

I personally voted yes on Weapon X - he does what most of us don't even do nowdays - he plays ArmA and contributes in a positive way to the community by sharing his knowledge through out several outlets.

NO. Unless he LOGS IN and says he wants to be a reg again. If you are not logging in and voting. You are not doing what a regular is supposed to be doing. It is the job of the regulars to vote and regulate the community, whether it be new regs coming in/out, new additions/subtractions to the modpack, or any other myriad things that are voted on in the forums. If you have TS time that isnt being used ingame, then you have time for the forums..

to add to what upchuk is saying

5.2.1 - Regulars represent the core of the community. Regulars are players who wish to take part in the organization and administration of the community:

kinda hard to fullfill if you dont log in. Nothing bad about weapon though.

If you believe that you do not need to use the forums to be a regular than you are stupid. This is where from day one we have decided all major decisions from new members to major amendments to our rules, that is administration of the community. You cannot fill the role as a regular if you do not use the forums. From day one the "community" has had three branches, TS, the server and the forums. That is why directly in the charter references the forums often. It is a much a part of the community and TS or the server.

Weapon X seems like a solid guy to me. Kinda funny that he hasn't used the forums in over 3 months.

Seems like a pretty easy thing to do ... log on the forums once every 89 days.

So the only thing a regular is responsible or should be expected to do is vote? Thats a pretty wacked out idea. Regulars are expected to be example members of the community, who demonstrate the ideas of gameplay that we hold up at UO. They are not expected to be voting machines.

The regular tag, despite any tries officially or unofficially is a (or should be) the mark of a valid, decent, capable player who plays to the standards that UO first sought out to bring to the Arma community.

You guys are putting way too much emphasis on the voting part, in fact you are putting all the emphasis on the voting part.

Lets just shut down the servers because all we should be doing is apparently be organizing something, not playing.

And to just throw an example out there... Does a person who doesn't vote in a country deserve to have any less rights? No. They don't. Can they be looked at funny when they complain about the situation that they are in when they do not vote? Yes. But thats their prerogative. Forced voting is the domain of dictatorships and shams. UO is not a sham or a dictatorship.

*edit*

As of now I refuse to vote in any further polls, ever, until the attitude at this place shifts away from this insane idea that all that matters is the forum and not the games we play or the friends we make. I am a regular and I will stay informed but I will never exercise my right to vote here until this insanity stops.

It seems to me WEAPON X epitomizes the Charter’s Mission Statement.

“United Operations is hereby established to serve as a community for fostering teamwork, simulation and cooperation in gaming. We are a mature community bound by a set of common principles:”

I do not find it hard to at all to understand why someone as mature as Weapon would avoid the drama of the Forums. Of course the Forums are an important tool for our community but his contributions to UO in TS and on the virtual battlefield by his leadership, tactical understanding and his willingness to share his knowledge not only as a UOTC Trainer but by his in game example in my opinion far exceed the simple act of voting for mods. Weapon does voice his opinion in TS on matters we active voting Regulars are considering. His influence does contribute to the “direction and administration of the community” more than his single vote ever could. Why must we all walk in lockstep and be mere clones of each other? Can there be no variety in what it means to be a Regular? Does the act of logging into the Forums really matter that much? Or does his fostering teamwork, leadership, comradery and excellent game play matter more? I wish we had 100 WEAPON Xs as Regulars.

I do not completely understand the logic. It does make sense we do not want ill informed Regulars voting on community matters and possibly making a sham of our democracy. But if they do not login that would also mean they do not vote.

What did Weapon lose when his Regular status was taken from him? Well obviously he still can go on the Server and he will not miss the Forums he did not log into. TeamSpeak will cause problems. We would often exchange files with the File Browser when collaborating on creating a new missions. I am not sure if there are any TS privileges he would need as a UOTC Trainer.

What does UO lose if Weapon decides to walk away from UO? If you do not know Weapon, or witness his training, or experienced his effect in Arma you have no idea. If you do know Weapon you also know the answer to that question is immeasurable.

It seems to me WEAPON X epitomizes the Charter’s Mission Statement.

“United Operations is hereby established to serve as a community for fostering teamwork, simulation and cooperation in gaming. We are a mature community bound by a set of common principles:”

I do not find it hard to at all to understand why someone as mature as Weapon would avoid the drama of the Forums. Of course the Forums are an important tool for our community but his contributions to UO in TS and on the virtual battlefield by his leadership, tactical understanding and his willingness to share his knowledge not only as a UOTC Trainer but by his in game example in my opinion far exceed the simple act of voting for mods. Weapon does voice his opinion in TS on matters we active voting Regulars are considering. His influence does contribute to the “direction and administration of the community” more than his single vote ever could. Why must we all walk in lockstep and be mere clones of each other? Can there be no variety in what it means to be a Regular? Does the act of logging into the Forums really matter that much? Or does his fostering teamwork, leadership, comradery and excellent game play matter more? I wish we had 100 WEAPON Xs as Regulars.

I do not completely understand the logic. It does make sense we do not want ill informed Regulars voting on community matters and possibly making a sham of our democracy. But if they do not login that would also mean they do not vote.

What did Weapon lose when his Regular status was taken from him? Well obviously he still can go on the Server and he will not miss the Forums he did not log into. TeamSpeak will cause problems. We would often exchange files with the File Browser when collaborating on creating a new missions. I am not sure if there are any TS privileges he would need as a UOTC Trainer.

What does UO lose if Weapon decides to walk away from UO? If you do not know Weapon, or witness his training, or experienced his effect in Arma you have no idea. If you do know Weapon you also know the answer to that question is immeasurable.

Couldn't have put it any better.

Except he doesn't need to be a Regular to do any of that Hawkeye. I'm sorry, but a regular not logging into the forums once every 3 months, is not a regular. Weapon can still fulfil all his tasks on TS without the regular tag.

Except he doesn't need to be a Regular to do any of that Hawkeye. I'm sorry, but a regular not logging into the forums once every 3 months, is not a regular. Weapon can still fulfil all his tasks on TS without the regular tag.

Yes but it has already been established that Regular status can also be a status symbol or an appreciation symbol - reference Dyslexci.

Thawk don’t you think “regularly“ participating on the Server and on TeamSpeak could also be a legitimate interpretation of what being a Regular means? Certainly the UO Mission Statement’s “fostering teamwork, simulation and cooperation in gaming” favors the Server/TS aspect over operational Forum usage.

I guess the part I really do not get Thawk is where is the gain? I can see plenty of negatives and struggle to see a single positive. It seems to me to follow the idiom “cutting off your nose to spite your face”.

As it says on the UnitedOperations web page tab.

"United Operations - An ArmA GAMING Community, ArmA2 ACE with ACRE"

It does NOT read:

"United Operations - An ArmA FORUM community, ArmA2 ACE & ACRE and Required Forum Activity"

We at United Operations are a GAMING community. Which means that our mission, lies on the Primary Server, Teamspeak and other games primarily. And on the Forums secondary.

I'm abstaining I think.

Although I find it amusing. There's almost as much drama sometimes on the server than there is on the forums. Not sure how you guys are trying to make such a clear distinction. Just more people tend to get involved.

WeaponX is a good guy, hes got a large experience base which I regularly bounce questions off of. I really like having him around and playing on his team is always interesting. I'm not sure where I really stand on the "forums are important!" argument. On one side, I can see his reasoning behind not getting involved, on the other, you're looking at interpretations of the charter from differing views.

Normally, I'd agree that forum activity is a big deal, but when the member is highly active [relatively] on the server and is doing his utmost to better the community in his own way...I'd say let him be.

I'll vote yes if he appears on TS and says he wants to stay a regular. Or on the forums. Either will work.

If you want to only do the gaming part of the community. You do not need to be a regular. The reason it says we are a gaming community is because that is the nature and description of the community, it doesn't have to say "forum" in it. Taking it as a literal meaning is stupid, it really is, considering the forum is the medium of change in the community. If you look at the other communities of the internet, you will see that they don't say forum in their description, but use it as a medium of discussion. Saying that it has to be included in a communities description is ridiculous. We are a car appreciation community (who use forums). We are a gaming community (who use forums). We are a PR community (who use forums)....see?

Everything Weapon does, he can still do, he doesn't want to take part in the administrative part of the community, that fine, don't be a regular then. As I said before, someone who doesn't log into the community once in 90 days, is not a regular as that is where most of the power of a regular is exerted, through polls and changing, adding or removing from the community. I don't understand how anyone could think it's ok for a regular to ignore half of what being a regular is, how people think a regular who doesn't take part in votes and administration of the community, is a regular.

This is just my opinion anyway, I see a regular as a person who exerts themselves through all mediums that the community does, TS, in-game and forums. The community, UO, uses them, it doesn't have to say we are a Gaming, TS and Forum community. I don't think someone who is involved in all 3, is a regular but just a member of the community as they do not want to go the extra length needed for regularship.

My god.

Being a Regular means that you have the right to vote on issues and policy for the server and community because you are a commendable player. You do not need to be a regular to be a commendable player. If you're not on the forums, discussing and voting on issues, you're not fufilling your duties as a regular. Period. You can play the game all you want, you could be Ratlover or whatever the fuck in game but it doesn't matter. There is no difference between ye average player and a regular in game, save a regular has the subtle push to a certain standard. It isn't any particular badge of respect unless you feel like viewing it that way.

Everything a regular does is on the forums. Everything. Everything. You can be a player all you want, playing in game and doing whatever. You don't need to be a regular to do any of that. But you need to be a regular to discuss and represent the community on debates and policy changes. If you're not doing that, then you're not doing what you should be doing and, thus, don't really need the tag.

Now.

This should go somewhere else, as this will disappear in six days and who cares then?

Edit: also this doesn't matter as, again, he'll be removed immediately! huzzzzzzzzzzaaah

Yes but it has already been established that Regular status can also be a status symbol or an appreciation symbol - reference Dyslexci.

But unlike WeaponX, Dyslexci at least visits the forums while logged in. If WeaponX can't even be bothered to log in for three months, how does maintaining his regular status convey appreciation? It's a pointless title which he won't even notice, so this is basically just feel-good factor for the few people who have regular contact with him. The only thing it gets WeaponX is a nice TS tag.

I'd be willing to vote yes on this if I got any impression that WeaponX wouldn't be immediately removed, or removed automatically in 3 months when he doesn't log in again.

Great post Thawk!

Now I understand our differences. I see Forum activity as a community’s operational necessity. Maybe 10% of what being a Regular means.

It is like the US Army and the Pentagon. You need the Pentagon to handle logistics and stuff but when I think of the US Army I think of soldiers, equipment and training. The last thing I think of is the Pentagon!

When I think of UO I think of a comradery of players, tactics and fun. The last thing I think of is logistics.

But you need to be a regular to discuss and represent the community on debates and policy changes.

Members can do that?

edit: The only difference between Members and Regulars in the Forums are being able to read the “Regulars Discussions” and vote.

just my 2 cents,

As a regular you are allowed to vote. However If you don't log in, you cant vote. So if you don't want to vote, why would you need to be a regular at all.

Someone mentioned that regulars must show how to behave on the server. But you can do this as a non-reg too.

I don't know weapon or I don't remember him so I won't tell what has to be done with him, but I have been playing here for 13 months now and I think I learned a lot about what UO stands for

Weapon is a great guy to play with and contributes a lot in-game. (Despite his internet issues, lol)

Anyways, I'm kind of split on an issue such as this. Weapon is fairly active and contributes a lot to the game when he is on, but he doesn't participate in the organization and administration of the community as a Regular is supposed to do. It's really not the end of the world, as he can still play the game without being a Regular as many do. I see why a lot of you want him to remain a Regular because he is a great guy and contributes a lot to the game play aspect, but it doesn't really make sense as being a Regular consists of contributing in-game and on the forums.

EDIT: Would have been a lot smarter to have Weapon put up his own application.

He learned how to use a forum (true story).

Voted yes.