Sign in to follow this  
beta

[Charter Modification] Modify 5.2.8 to remove 72 hour resignation [2012-04-18]

54 members have voted

1. 1. Approve change to 5.2.8?

• Yes.
    • No.

People can live with their stupid decisions. It's not like I resign from my job every time I have a bad day then go and ask for it back. As for the point that it gives a place for discussions, you can have a discussion thread to discuss issues, resignation should have nothing to do with it and resignation threads shouldn't be the place to discuss issues.

You can still play here is a non-regular and can re-apply for regularship if you realise you have made an error. We are, after all, meant to be a mature community.

Nou I absolutely agree with you. If a Regular or Officer abuses our community’s largess they deserve to lose Regular status. If for one second you think Trapdoor, Sickly or possibly Rich has done this then put up a poll for Regular removal. By putting up a poll you will ensure the integrity of the system. You can be sure if someone in the future feigns resigning and then is removed by a poll the precedent will be set. Seriously, if you “feel” Trapdoor, Sickly or Rich is abusing the system we together established you must put up a poll. The system is in place and you have my support.

IAJT I do think for a variety of reasons TS and the Forums are not like real life and should be treated as such. You mention UO is a mature community. As the oldest Regular perhaps I can offer a unique perspective. I believe part of the problem with the 72 hour grace period is for some the lack of instant satisfaction in seeing a resignation. When someone resigns then we have to actually wait for the result. The more mature one is the less this lack of instant gratification is a bother. Patience is a benchmark of maturity. Grace is also a hallmark of maturity. Grace is something often missing in the UO community, something I think you would agree we could use more of.

If you want UO to become a more mature community please vote no or change your vote to no.

If it was enough to make you resign than you should have the balls to live with your decision..Instantly and forever.

If it was enough to make you resign than you should have the balls to live with your decision..Instantly and forever.

Couldn't agree more.

Amen

" Chiefboats and tiggr both posted they wished such a provision was in place for them." I think I said it might have saved me, but knowing me, it would have been temporary. I have been watching the forums and I think I would rather beat off with a hand full of razor blades than go though the process akin to running the gauntlet , of getting Reg again. For those thinking about giving it up, if you want to play here don't do it. It is true , you can always play here as a member but it's never the same because those things that made you quit will always be in the way of you feeling at home here. You will always be the out of town relative, family, kind of but not quite.

I believe it is not beneficial to the community and is only promoting immature and reactionary resignations. Resigning your regularship should not be used as a means to show your distaste with members or practices of the community. It has been in the past used as leverage for arguing a point in either polls or community discussions and it is my opinion that this is against the intent of the amendment.

Felt this back when it got voted in.

Granted, I'd need to double check the times of resignation for Chief and Tig, however since this has been enacted my mind remembers three occurrances of this coming to a head.

Odd having a baby.

Sickly overreacting.

And ironically enough, Fansadox doing us one over and dropping his Regularship void of drama for the right reasons, he just wasn't into it anymore.

Hasn't done much since we voted it in.

Sorry Hawkeye, just never saw much good coming from this.

Yes, Argued heavily against the 72 hour idea originally, stupid idea has been proven stupid. People should be mature enough not to make lame snap decisions like resigning, if they are not then they deserve to have to go through the process of applying to become a regular again.

Nou I absolutely agree with you. If a Regular or Officer abuses our community’s largess they deserve to lose Regular status. If for one second you think Trapdoor, Sickly or possibly Rich has done this then put up a poll for Regular removal. By putting up a poll you will ensure the integrity of the system. You can be sure if someone in the future feigns resigning and then is removed by a poll the precedent will be set. Seriously, if you “feel” Trapdoor, Sickly or Rich is abusing the system we together established you must put up a poll. The system is in place and you have my support.

IAJT I do think for a variety of reasons TS and the Forums are not like real life and should be treated as such. You mention UO is a mature community. As the oldest Regular perhaps I can offer a unique perspective. I believe part of the problem with the 72 hour grace period is for some the lack of instant satisfaction in seeing a resignation. When someone resigns then we have to actually wait for the result. The more mature one is the less this lack of instant gratification is a bother. Patience is a benchmark of maturity. Grace is also a hallmark of maturity. Grace is something often missing in the UO community, something I think you would agree we could use more of.

If you want UO to become a more mature community please vote no or change your vote to no.

Hawkeye please dont see this as a failure of your ideas in this matter. The original point was very much supportable and a very rational and logical rule to make.

However we didnt know it would be abused like this. I know it hasnt been many times but still the option and the feeling is there for it.

I think grace as a mark of maturity will be very very easily shown in a person's reapply regularship vote if he wants to become a regular again. (i dont think we are against grace at all, just see the Mienke thread how hard for the community it is to resist to this grace) This will absolutely not permit anyone to apply again, and we will handle it in a mature way. That will be the true hallmark of maturity and not when I behave like a little girl and ragequit without a reason in a single word.

But let me emphasize this again, your original idea was right at that time but the circumstances changed and this ws absolutely not your fault as author of these charter points.

Hawkeye please dont see this as a failure of your ideas in this matter. The original point was very much supportable and a very rational and logical rule to make.

However we didnt know it would be abused like this. I know it hasnt been many times but still the option and the feeling is there for it.

I think grace as a mark of maturity will be very very easily shown in a person's reapply regularship vote if he wants to become a regular again. (i dont think we are against grace at all, just see the Mienke thread how hard for the community it is to resist to this grace) This will absolutely not permit anyone to apply again, and we will handle it in a mature way. That will be the true hallmark of maturity and not when I behave like a little girl and ragequit without a reason in a single word.

But let me emphasize this again, your original idea was right at that time but the circumstances changed and this ws absolutely not your fault as author of these charter points.

... Save it hasn't been abused!

This came up when a regular resigned and people commented on that he'd just retract it at the last second. Which that regular hasn't done. The arguments of "This will/is abused constantly" are unfounded because, you know, it hasn't.

My resignation that I later rescinded wasn't a rash decision meant to cause drama (as my thread shows,) but rather because I get too involved with drama and found myself awake at 5am arguing over the internet instead of going to bed.

I submitted my resignation to not have to deal with interpersonal drama, but later on rescinded my resignation because I care too much about this community to silently back out of it.

The 72-hour grace period gives a person time to calm down and look at things from a different perspective, as well as finding out how other regulars feel about it.

We are not Vulcans, people have feelings and emotions.

... Save it hasn't been abused!

This came up when a regular resigned and people commented on that he'd just retract it at the last second. Which that regular hasn't done. The arguments of "This will/is abused constantly" are unfounded because, you know, it hasn't.

No, this poll was not made because of Rich's resignation thread.

I thought his resignation had already been 72 hours before I put this up specifically so it would not coincide with it and lead to people thinking there is an ulterior motive. It hadn't.