Sign in to follow this  
Rich

[Discussion] Reasons for map removal

There are a lot of map removal polls lately. Most of them, if not all, have come about to "balance" the addition of that half-a-gig 5km x 5km map. However, I've noticed that almost, again if not all, have the following reason listed as well:

"All missions can be ported to other islands"

I think this is the most baseless, stupid, and pointless reason that could be given. The reality is that any mission can be ported to any map. That being said, if we're removing some maps for this reason, we need to remove all addon maps for this reason. Now, that sounds absurd to a lot of people, I know, but that's how stupid this reason is, and why it shouldn't be used.

Input please.

Kinda stupid. Missions I make are mostly for the terrain and area they are in.

Removing them for a 5x5km map that is 1/2 a gig is dumb. If we are going to do this, we need a bigger, better map. You can only make so many missions on a map this size.

New poll to remove Takistan from the server? =D

All the missions can be ported to Clafgan!

Yeah, the new map is not worth it at all. Sure its pretty but I don't care about that, I have to run the game on low anyways and My harddrive isn't a 5billion petabyte harddrive.

People need to be responsible when putting up/voting on polls, nothing more.

I am one of those "new players" who just joined this community few days ago. I can only talk for myself but I didn't care at all about the mod size.

Pretty useful indicator.

I can only speak for myself when I put that reasoning in the three polls I authored.

[WARNING: OPINION INBOUND]

Of the three islands I polled I felt that none offered unique terrain unavailable in other islands already in our modpack. In the past it had been mentioned that if islands were removed that there was possibility that the missions would be lost forever. The porting aspect was in direct response to that notion. In retrospect Panthera does not really fall into the aforementioned category of unique terrain. Mind you that this is my opinion, others may disagree. I cannot speak for others who include that reasoning (possibly to troll?).

The sudden influx of polls can only be the result of one thing: everyone's IQ has dropped 30 points overnight.

I wonder what effect all these map removal polls will have on mission making. Will a mission maker think twice before working on a map other than Chernarus, Desert, Takistan, Utes or Zargabad. If we start complaining about the lack of variety who do we have to blame?

- Low FPS(lower than other maps during average mission gameplay)

- When a new map that fits the same role is available and it's better.

- Lack of missions

These is for removal, now, for approval:

- Good performance

- Usable terrain with realistic features

- Reasonable size(bytes)/features ratio

- Must fit with at least one Blufor and Opfor unit

- Must be tested by the poll maker and by others to give a second opinion.

I've said repeatedly that I don't care how big the modpack is, so I understand that other people will feel other pressures to keep the size down. Given that, the only broad reason to remove an island IMO is that there are no regularly played missions on it.

Other than that, it should be specific issues with the island.

The sudden influx of polls can only be the result of one thing: everyone's IQ has dropped 30 points overnight.

Mine dropped from reading the poll forum.

:(

Will a mission maker think twice before working on a map other than Chernarus, Desert, Takistan, Utes or Zargabad.

This is a good point, you spend hours making missions for an Island and then some prat puts it up for removal because only your missions get played. WHat a waste of time and effort.

And NO, I will not Port Missions to other Maps, because that will ruin the mission. It was designed for a specific island for a specific reason, and none of our Islands are that alike.

. . . All part of my master plan.

To kill the Boxer!

Personally? My motivation behind putting up polls to remove Everon and Clafghan was twofold. One, I don't like these islands. If you'd like to hear my story as to why? Ask here or ask on TS. Secondly, I want some of these voters to put some money where their mouths are. I respect those that have voiced their opinions to keep islands based on missions they are making or missions they have made. Notable figures in this list include ZZEZ, Ham, Mikee, Herbiie, TDack (Goku), Mastec, and Kassa. However, for the rest of the voters, this should be a hint that islands need missions. It seems to me quite the double standard that you want to keep all these islands yet, you don't want to make any missions on them. The reason we have a wide variety of islands is to promote a wide variety of missions across varied theaters and terrain. So, get cracking. Missions are not difficult to make, especially TVTs. My suggestion is to look at the KST missions or Mastec's AAS (advanced and secure) missions. Get an idea of where and what in your head and stick with it. Don't just copy-pasta more of Sandi's LIE (light infantry engagement) missions, pick and AO, and call it good. Put some thought and originality into your mission designs regarding force compositions and LOCATION. Make use of the unique terrain features offered in islands other than Chern and Taki (though Chern has some great terrain gems, see Two Lakes). My mission queue is being emptied on Wednesday. Best place to gather somewhat guided and constructive criticism

Regardless, what's the problem with having votes?

The only way to have something removed is quite a margin in agreement to get it removed, so it's not like it will suddenly go missing. People will have to debate and win people over. And if they do so... Well, turns out it looks like that vote was a good thing.

I wonder what effect all these map removal polls will have on mission making. Will a mission maker think twice before working on a map other than Chernarus, Desert, Takistan, Utes or Zargabad. If we start complaining about the lack of variety who do we have to blame?

"<complaining tone> Why do we have so many missions on Chernarus? <complaining tone/>"

Read above for a big reason.

It's not like I've heard more than one mission maker say .. "I'll just make my next mission on Chernarus/Takistan because *INSERT ISLAND HERE* was removed/has a poll for removal".

As I already mentioned on a different thread, it seems to me that we have quite a few islands that did not get enough love from mission makers/designers. I wholeheartedly think that the best way to validate such a considerable sized map-pack would be to promore further development in certain islands.

Here are a few numbers that I got from the mission list a week or so ago:

Missions per island:

Chernarus 68

Takistan 31

Celle 31

Tropica 29

Podagorsk 22

Lingor 20

Fallujah 20

Panthera 14

Zargabad 13

Tora Bora 11

Utes 9

Thirsk 6

Cinder City 7

Thrisk Winter 6

Clafghan 6

Spritz 6

Kulima 5

Proving Grounds 3

Shapur 2

Missions per designer:

Temp 44

ZZEZ 30

Tinfoil 27

Krause 22

Rich 20

Falcon 16

Ham 12

Beta 12

Kassared 15

Herbiie 14

Yaxxo 11

Blockhead 10

Foxxy 8

Force_Majeure 8

AC 337 7

Headshot 6

Fusionpoo 6

Azzwort 6

goonCorp 5

Inca_Killa 4

Toadball 4

Huska 4

Perhaps we should give the proper attention to the ones we currently have prior to add new islands to the pack?

It's not like I've heard more than one mission maker say .. "I'll just make my next mission on Chernarus/Takistan because *INSERT ISLAND HERE* was removed/has a poll for removal".

I was personally going to make my air assault TVT[which should make its appearance in time for the next TvT Madhouse] on the new Irish map but following the drama on it I decided its not worth my time finding the exact spots in the map and instead I moved it to Chernarus wheres theres no risk of it getting axed.

I was personally going to make my air assault TVT[which should make its appearance in time for the next TvT Madhouse] on the new Irish map but following the drama on it I decided its not worth my time finding the exact spots in the map and instead I moved it to Chernarus wheres theres no risk of it getting axed.

Let's make a poll to remove Chernarus from our HDD's and not play missions on it. This way we can save some space on our hard drives lol.

just kidding

PS: It seems like Irish map is going to pass the poll. Today is the last day and it's winning.

As an aside, I received a serious request to remove Sharpur from our modpack today. It took some explanation to the user that this was part of DLC content included for free as part of BAF.

Lol

As an aside, I received a serious request to remove Sharpur from our modpack today. It took some explanation to the user that this was part of DLC content included for free as part of BAF.

this totally wasnt me :?

Sharpur is a nice map. However, I can understand why. Too small, not a lot of features beyond the buildings. So on. There are only so many *ORIGINAL* missions you can fit into a small space.