Guest austucker

ARMA 3 news?

Guest austucker

Hey guys still shopping for a new comp but got to thinking I haven't herd much on the next ARMA so has anyone found a site or have more info than what we got from E3? Haven't been able to dig up much myself...

Kinda the point of A3, BI has always been clear about that.

Just sayin'.

This is why I couldn't give a damn about Arma3, they let go of realism, and went for futuristic bullshit.

Just look at the MEC helmets...

arma3_screenshot_1105_12.jpg

I mean, what the fuck?

saw that aswell... shot myself in foot, every time we get new screens the game goes farther an farther away from realism

The game takes place in 204X...

UGV's actually do exist.

So long as they can deliver with:

• Physical simulation & improved animations:
  • Take advantage of PhysX™ supporting the vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.
  • Volumetric clouds
  • The net code is beeing optimized.
  • 4 times more detailed ground textures
  • Improved Data-Streaming
  • Improved micro AI and pathfinding
  • Improved water simulation (visually as well as physically)
  • Blending from animations to ragdoll
  • Higher particle limit
  • More audio samples
  • New scripting technology
  • New lighting tech/HDR ( JC twitter feed)

...im cool with this

It looks kinda like a MULE: http://en.wikipedia....uipment_vehicle , http://en.wikipedia....Robotic_Vehicle

XM1219_Armed_Robotic_Vehicle.jpg

Why not? Sure, they could simply remake Arma II with all the technical improvements they are developing, but I don't think doing that would really be much point in a brand new game if they were to do that.

The way I see it, these 'non-realistic' additions just add to the possibilities of what can be done in the game.

I really could care less if BI decided to release it with your principal enemies as 10m tall mantis-men with automatic rail guns. If they give us core engine improvements and nice terrain to fight on I'll be thrilled.

at this point looks like bi is just adding all kinds of futuristic things so i think i can speak for a few people when i say...

ultramarinesspacemarine.jpg

Its not "kinda like", its based on a real thing - the Israeli Guardian UGV thats in use in Gaza, last I heard they installed weapons on it and it wacked a few militants.

These helmets are also not that futuristic bullshit - they are again based on the real thing, F35 helmets turned for standard infantry version, this is how a F35 helmet looks:

F-35_Helmet_Mounted_Display_System.jpg

Personally I don't care too much, we are getting the Namer HAPC, Merkava MK4 and Tavors..the only thing I will need is to reskin some dudes in to olive drab camo and we're done :)

saw that aswell... shot myself in foot, every time we get new screens the game goes farther an farther away from realism

And don't you dare posting anything negative about this issue on the Arma 3 forums! Apparently they have strong supporters of the near-future bullshit on their forums. I sincerely hope the ACE team will MOD it for us.

I'm slightly confused by this thread. What makes ARMA realistic isn't the fact that the weapons, gun and gear are exactly up to specifications. What makes ARMA realistic is that the game mechanics reward realistic behaviors and punish unrealistic ones. Granted ARMA isn't perfect and there's a lot to be improved on but I don't see how having made up units or gear is inhibiting the realism to me its just a aesthetic thing what matters is the mechanics and the underlying structure of the game.

I'm slightly confused by this thread. What makes ARMA realistic isn't the fact that the weapons, gun and gear are exactly up to specifications. What makes ARMA realistic is that the game mechanics reward realistic behaviors and punish unrealistic ones. Granted ARMA isn't perfect and there's a lot to be improved on but I don't see how having made up units or gear is inhibiting the realism to me its just a aesthetic thing what matters is the mechanics and the underlying structure of the game.

This is the very same topic of 80% of the threads on the Arma 3 forums. I think that some of us are more into a contemporary scenario rather than near-future. Whether it is realistic or not, well, that's a different topic.

This is the very same topic of 80% of the threads on the Arma 3 forums. I think that some of us are more into a contemporary scenario rather than near-future. Whether it is realistic or not, well, that's a different topic.

I agree I would much rather see a contemporary scenario than a near future one but my point is that I don't think that what units are initially available for the game seriously impacts the realism of the product.

Hey ZZEZ are there any prototype versions of that helmet for infantry at all? I've heard of prototype heads up display units but I'd love to read up on stuff like what you described! I'm with Falcon and ZZEZ though, these things aren't actual futuristic stuff, there all stuff that is in use now, albeit limited, and as falcon says the game itself is realistic, skins and weapons are separate and can be added or taken away as we please!

However I do believe the UOTC will need to re-do some classes in light of this 10m mantis-men!

I don't know of any specific ones but its not hard to see the connection, its only logical that in the future as electronics will shrink and turn more powerful helmets will have some sort of HUD that will project a dot where the weapon is pointed at as its going to be the next big upgrade[barring caliber change] for infantry, just like red dot reflex sights increased the effectiveness of riflemen, I think the US had a system like that in its future soldier program.

I have seen a video of a futuristic firefighter helmet, its going to display for firefighters the level of oxygen in the room and heat level..not hard at all to see it being militarized, I'm trying to find the video but I can't seem to locate it.

I found this article, its pretty interesting - just google future soldier helmets:

http://www.technewsd...al-sensors.html

http://en.wikipedia....dgear_Subsystem

Also US Land Warrior program[canceled] had helmet display for where the bullets will hit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Warrior#Helmet

I agree I would much rather see a contemporary scenario than a near future one but my point is that I don't think that what units are initially available for the game seriously impacts the realism of the product.

You seem to think of the realism in terms of physics, ballistics, and fluidity of movement (which I agree that are necessary as a foundation for immersion). On the other hand, I refer to it in a more broad perspective because I'd like something that mimics the reality as I perceive it (fuck, flashbacks of philosophy class!), which isn't dictated only by the laws of physics, but it also includes all the things and scenarios that are part of the this point in time and space. In another words, I wouldn't consider Arma 3 as realistic because it is a reality assumption and/or proposal based on ours (a projection). It doesn't exist (yet). It's nothing but a possible-reality that might happen.

I'm confused as to why you all think we would ever use this shit in our missions. When ACE is released the game is just going to be a greatly improved Arma 2.

You can import ArmA 2 and ArmA 1 vehicles and maps to ArmA 3. I see no problem in having futuristic assets.